Thursday, April 7, 2011

Robyn's Granola

Here is another granola recipe I really like. The kids prefer my recipe, but they like this one alright too, so I make this probably once a month and my other recipe about 3 times a month(A batch this size lasts us about a week so I generally make a batch a week). This one is a little softer than my other recipe. Both granola recipes are very similar. The major difference is with the sweeteners. My recipe uses agave and honey. Robyn's recipe uses honey, molasses and maple syrup. I love the way this recipe makes my kitchen smell. When my niece walked in the kitchen this morning while it was cooking she asked, "Are you making cinnamon rolls?" I forgot to take a picture, but it looks just like the picture in my other granola recipe, which is posted on here, maybe just a tad bit darker because of the molasses. Here it is:

Robyn's Granola (I made some of my own modifications which are in bold italics)

Full of fiber, Omega 3 fatty acids, and live sprouts—whole-foods nutrition perfect for children! You won't get hungry before lunch, and kids won't be nagging for snacks. I double this recipe and make it in a big broiler pan with a lid, where I keep it until it's gone- a double batch lasts my four kids(big eaters!) well over a week.

Makes 25-35 servings

Mix the following together well in a large broiler pan:

8 c rolled oats (not instant which are a processed food)

1 c raw wheat germ(found in bulk at health food stores and Winco; high in B vitamins)

1 c shredded coconut(found in bulk at health food stores and Winco; not the sugary kind with propylene glycol at the regular grocery store)

1/2 c freshly ground flax seed(I use $10 coffee grinder from Wal-mart) -I only make it with 1/4 c, because I like the taste better.

1 c raw nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds; cashews need not be raw, unless you can afford those!)

1/4 c sesame seeds

2 Tbsp cinnamon- I only use 1 Tbsp...it's a little strong for my taste

Heat the following on the stove until just melted, stirring well:

1/2 c raw honey

1/2 c molasses or Grade B maple syrup- I do 1/4c molasses, 1/4c syrup

1/2 c water

optional: 1/2 c coconut oil – I use 1/4 c

optional: 1 tsp maple or vanilla extract- I use the vanilla

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until distributed evenly. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring well halfway through the baking process.

Serve with almond or rice milk and optionally sprinkle in 2 Tbsp sprouted raw sunflower seeds. (Cover 1/2 pint of seeds with filtered water overnight, then drain I the morning- they are now living food with vastly more enzymes and nutrients. You can also sprout raw almonds or pumpkin seeds to add to your granola in the morning.)

Note: keeps in the pantry for up to 2 weeks or in the fridge for up to 6 weeks.

No comments: