Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pizza, coconut syrup & more food



I have a phenomenal pizza dough and sauce recipe that we eat every week! This recipe will make four 10 inch pizzas. I make two of them for my family of 6 and then we freeze the other two to eat the following week. Fresh and frozen are wonderful! They're soft, fluffy, with a crisp bottom(for sure if cooked on a good pizza stone), and not labor intensive. It only takes about 15 minutes to put the dough together, though you do have to plan ahead and make sure you allow it several hours to rise. I usually will make the dough sometime before noon the evening we want it for dinner. I'll post my recipe below.
I made cheez-it's again this week. Maren, a good friend of mine, asked if I would try making it in the Blend-tec to see if that was possible. I did and it worked great. I love cheezits. I got together with a couple of my roommates from BYU this past week for our monthly whole-foods get together. It was April's birthday so we indulged a little with tempura(vegetables dipped in a batter and fried. So yummy, but not the greatest for you). April put a pancake and coconut syrup recipe on her blog recently that she found on the Taste is Trump website. I tried it and loved it, and got her permission to include the recipe with her modifications and the picture here on my blog. Thanks April!
Recipes:

My Favorite Pizza Dough

In a large mixing bowl, add 1/2 tsp yeast to 1 c really warm water and 1 c wheat or spelt flour. Cover it and let it stand for about 5 minutes. While you wait, get all your other ingredients out.

Add these ingredients to your yeast mixture, reserving one cup flour, and stir together:

1 cup warm water
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon sea salt
3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
5 cups spelt or whole wheat flour(or mixture of both)


Knead 5 minutes, while kneading, add more flour if needed to form a nice elastic dough consistency and so dough sticks more to itself rather than the bowl. Add about 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the bowl to coat sides and cover dough in bowl with towel. Let dough rise 4-6 hours on counter(make sure you're house isn't too cold. If it is, find a warmer place for your dough like on top of a dryer that's going etc). Heat oven with pizza stone for 15-30 minutes at the highest heat (mine is 500 degrees). Divide dough in fourths, roll out on a floured surface. Transfer to a wooden pizza peel or parchment paper and cover with sauce and toppings. Bake on a preheated pizza stone for 5-6 minutes or until crust is crisp. Slide onto a baking sheet to take out of oven. Allow to cool a few minutes for cheese to set before cutting.


Pizza Sauce- taste is trump

16 ounces crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons Frontier Pizza Seasoning(I just used a pizza seasoning from Winco..I don't know the brand)
2 tablespoons sucanat
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Stir to combine.

Coconut Syrup- from taste is trump

Place in saucepan over medium heat:
1/2 cup sucanat
1/2 cup honey
1/4 tsp (sea) salt

Once the sucanat has dissolved, add in:

1- 13.66oz can of coconut milk

Mix in well. If not thick enough you can add in about a tablespoon of corn starch and a smidgen of water to mix it beforehand, add the mixture into your syrup and bring to a boil to thicken. If it's too thick, add a little water.

Once the desired thickness is achieved, remove from heat. Add in:

1 tsp vanilla.

5 comments:

April said...

Looks good! I'm so glad you like the pizza and sauce. It makes for a fun Friday tradition in our house.

berrymom said...

Thanks for the recipes! I don't know if I have ever mentioned it, but I am a complete whole foods nut also. I have been for years. I love getting new recipes. Thank you for taking the time to share them. I should do the same.

Brian said...

Elisa, I just have to say, you look so great!!! I will have to try these recipes! But just wanted to say that I hope I can drop the weight after all my next babies. You look fantastic!!!!
Love Heidi

The Horne's said...

Again, sorry, this was Heidi.

Elisa said...

April, agreed. Friday night Pizza is the best. And I love that I don't even have to think about a menu for that day! It's all planned and ready to go.

Jenn, I didn't know that about you, but I guess I should have figured. You're pretty much an all around amazing woman. I would love if you posted some of your families favorites. I'm always looking for new, yummy and healthy recipes.

Heidi, Thanks for the compliment :). From pictures I've seen on your blog, you already look fantastic.