Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Happy Birthday to me!


I'm 28! Honestly, I feel like I should be in my thirties. I mean, just with all that we've accomplished so far in life and having four children. I feel like I should be older and have more years to my name. I'm actually really looking forward to being thirty. Just two more years to go.

As for birthday festivities this year, Scott and I were lucky to have my sister in town last week. Becca and Blake watched the kids for us Saturday night so Scott and I could go out. We went out to dinner, and on the way there we stopped off at our good friends house, Ben and Gina, for a short visit. We love them and don't get to see them enough.

We ate dinner at Bombay House in Salt Lake. It was SO yummy! Scott and I went to another Indian restaurant several weeks ago in Draper and loved it, and this one was just as good, if not better. And I think the prices were a bit better at the Bombay house. We actually ordered three main dishes :). There were so many things on the menu we wanted to try. We knew we wouldn't be coming back anytime soon because it's a little far from home, you have to wait a little while for your food, and it's not kid friendly enough to bring our four kids. I'm guessing we won't get to go again until we have a family member staying with us again. Though I suppose if we got desperate, we could just order food to go, but like I said, it's a little bit of a drive. We also wanted to have some leftovers for Becca and Blake. Becca really likes Indian food, though Blake is still in the introductory phase :). I didn't have my camera with me at the restaurant, so we took pictures once we got home. And here's a picture of Blake and Becca eating some of the leftovers.

Later that night Scott and I went and saw the new Jane Eyre movie. It was alright. But probably not my favorite adaptation. I hate spending money to see a movie in a theater when it's just 'alright'. Which is precisely why we see very few movies in the theater. Oh well. It was still fun to sit with Scott and be out with him for an extended period of time.

The night before my birthday I put the kids to bed around 820. I told the girls they could read a book but that I wanted them to turn the lights out at 830. At 915 I could still hear Elisabeth humming, so I went down to check on her and Annabelle. I knocked on the door and Elisabeth answered it. "Oh, Mom, I lost track of the time." I looked around her room and to my surprise the room was not messier than when I left, but it was cleaner. Usually when they stay up and play, the room gets pretty cluttered. Elisabeth saw me looking around and added, "I was cleaning my room so you could have a surprise for your birthday." I thought that was the sweetest thing ever. They know, because I tell them, that a clean house is one of my favorite things. Her room and her closet looked so good. I was very impressed. Thank you Elisabeth! You are wonderful!(By the way, the pictures below were taken the next morning, on my birthday. Elisabeth is wearing a soccer uniform in the picture because we signed her up for soccer this week and the uniform is new...so of course she had to wear it. All day. Even to Cafe Rio which is where we went for lunch.)


This morning Scott made me a green smoothie for breakfast, upon my request. I opened gifts from Scott and our parents and read cards from the kids. For lunch I took the kids to Cafe Rio. I was a little nervous taking all four by myself during the lunch rush, but we had a good talk about behavior and my expectations on the way up and everything went really well. Scott came home early from work because he knew I would be teaching a class at church that evening, so we wanted to have dinner and celebrate early. He also came home early enough that I was able to go do a little shopping on my own. He made eggplant parmesan with spaghetti for dinner. We had a sugar cookie pie crust with ice cream on top for dessert. The ice cream on top of mine was Cake Batter from Coldstone. Afterward, we played a balloon game. We had a nice evening. I taught a green smoothie class later that night which went really well. It was a perfect day, or pretty close to it.

7 comments:

Jessica and Brad said...

Happy Birthday!!

The Horne's said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! 28, 4 kids, wow!! Yes, you've accomplished a lot! Hope it's a great year for you!

April said...

I'm so glad you had a great day! Luff to you.

Angela said...

Sorry we didn't call on you birthday..Happy Birthday to a wonderful daughter (in law). We love you so much. How SWEET of Elizabeth to clean up her room for you. She is so adorable...as are all of them.

The Clarks said...

Happy Birthday Elisa! Glad you had a good one. You are too funny that you are excited to be 30! Oh how I am dreading it!!!

Casey said...

Happy birthday Elisa!

mary said...

Happy belated birthday, Elisa! I can't believe your optimism. I just turned 27 on April 12th, and I seriously feel this surge of terror every time I think about turning 30 in 3 years. I have never cared a bit about my age until now, but 27 might just do me in! You're amazing!