Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Christ Centered Easter: Palm Sunday

My Mom gave us an Easter activity book called, "A Christ-Centered Easter" by Janet and Joe Hales. It has ideas and activities, scriptures and prophecy's you can read each day, beginning with Palm Sunday(the Sunday before Easter) and finishing on Easter Sunday. I'd read through all the days and decided to implement this into our Easter celebration. I hate that the Easter holiday has turned into a celebration of bunnies and eggs and candy, instead of focusing on the Savior. I love Spring, and we'll celebrate Spring, but Easter is a very important day, a day when Christ should be the focus, not candy and eggs. By following this book, the kids will get a much better understanding of the real reason behind the holiday. We'll still have an Easter basket, but I'll be sure to include things in the basket that will help them remember Christ.

I'm going to post each of the days on here, and from now on I'll try and do it the night before the actual day, so if there are any of you who would like to follow along, you'll have the evening before to get your thoughts together. I won't include all the supplemental songs, recipes, stories etc but if you'd like them, you can buy this book online through Deseret Book and probably other places. It really is a great book and the stories are heart warming. But you can also read through each day that I've posted and choose some of the activities that don't require the book. There's not going to be enough time to do all of the activities listed, so our family will probably pick several a day and leave the rest for other years. Today I'd like to do the nature walk if it's nice, talk about some symbolism, read one of the stories and if there's time, act out the triumphal entry play. When we read from the scriptures, I'll also have us do our traditional eggs --I have a post on the eggs from the previous year. Each egg has a scripture inside and a symbolic item to go with it. I hope you can enlarge this and read it fine. Let me know if you can't and I'll see what I can do. Have a happy Easter week!

No comments: