Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cafe Rio-type Burritos and My Guacamole

We've made these burritos quite a few times recently because we love them. I just made them the other night for my little sister, Becca's, birthday. My sister and I don't usually get to celebrate our birthdays together anymore because we live so far apart, so this was fun!

This recipe is one of our family favorites. I love Cafe Rio and I love this recipe! So yummy! I usually leave the chicken out of my own burrito because I like it just as well without, but the chicken is good, and Scott and Elisabeth always like to have it inside. I make my burritos with whole wheat tortillas and I use brown rice. I also put a dollop of guacamole on the side with some salsa. Here are some of the recipes you'll need to put this all together. The nice thing about these burritos is that most of the foods that go inside you can prepare in advance. So cook the beans and rice the day before and just warm it up. You can do the same with the burrito sauce and the guacamole. Some of these recipes are from websites, and several I've adapted to our tastes. And the guacamole is a Garnica recipe which I LOVE!

Cafe Rio Rice

2 c water (if using brown rice you'll need 2 1/2 c water)

1/2 tsp cumin

1 c rice

1 can green chiles

1 tsp chicken bouillon

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp/clove minced garlic

1 Tbsp butter

1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped

1/4 onion, chopped

Brown rice in pan with butter and garlic. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Add rest of ingredients. Stir together. Cook until rice is done, 15-20 minutes...if making with brown rice, cook about 40-45 minutes, until rice is done.


Cafe Rio Chicken

1/2 bottle zesty Italian dressing

1-2 lbs chicken

1/2 Tbsp chili powder

1/2onion, diced

1/2 Tbsp cumin

2 cloves garlic minced

Roast in crock pot 4 hours on high. Then shred meat. Roast 1 more hour.


Cafe Rio Burrito

For the sauce:
1 small can diced chilies
1 7 oz. can Salsa Verde (I used "Embasa" brand)
1/2 c. chicken broth
2 tsp. Sucanat
1 tsp. salt


Combine all ingredients in small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for at least 20 minutes. Serve warm. You can also refrigerate it overnight after simmering if you are making it in advance (My husband said it tasted even better the next day after all the flavors had settled). Just reheat in the small saucepan before serving.

For the burrito:
1 large whole wheat tortilla

Lettuce

1 large scoop rice

1 large scoop beans(I use canned black beans when I haven't prepared enough in advance, otherwise I cook my own black or pinto beans)

Guacamole

1 large scoop cooked shredded chicken

Sour Cream

Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, to taste

Green Enchilada Sauce (see recipe above)


Roll up rice, beans, chicken and cheese in large tortilla shell to form the burrito. Slather with a big ladle full of the green enchilada sauce and top with additional Monterey Jack cheese. Place in the oven at 450-degrees until cheese is melted. Serve with lettuce, pico de gallo or salsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream. Sorry, not a great picture of the burrito. But I promise, it's amazing!

Guacamole-lightly adapted from Grandpa Luis Garnica (I'm obsessed with this guacamole!!)

3 ripe avocados, mashed

1 roma tomato, chopped fine

1 green jalapeno chopped fine

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove garlic

pinch of white pepper

2 small green onions, chopped fine

1/4 squeezed lemon

1 Tbsp mayo(optional-I never use this anymore)

Mash all ingredients together and chill.


3 comments:

MarieC said...

Yum! We fell in love with Cafe Rio when we were in Utah last year, and are very sorry they don't have any locations here in Washington. I'm definitely going to give these a try!!

April said...

Oh man, this looks good! Wanna get together for dinner sometime? :)

Elisa said...

April, I'd love to!