Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine's Day

I really like Valentine's Day. We don't do a lot for Valentine's Day, but the few things we do I love.

The thing I love the most about Valentine's Day is that it's the one day a year I get a sweet love letter from Scott. Not just a nice note with a couple of sentences, but an actual love letter. I LOVE it. Scott knows this is very, very important to me (because I tell him a couple of weeks leading up to the special day, every year. He probably doesn't need the reminder, but I just want to be sure) and he is always so good about doing it. I also love our exchange of love letters to the rest of the family. I write one for Scott and the kids, and he writes one for each child, and once the kids are old enough, they write notes to us and to each other. Scott and I try to mention specific things we love about each individual, especially pertaining to that year. For example, with Elisabeth I'd say something like, 'I love listening to you play the piano,' and then I'd give a few more details about that. Once they have read their cards, I collect them and put them in a safe spot. If they want a copy for now, I make copies for them that they can keep.

Here are the kids sitting down before breakfast, their love letters resting on their plates:
I have all of our love letters from over the years in a box under my bed and one day, once they're older(probably during their senior year of high school), I'll put them into a book for each child. On Valentine's evening, once the kids are in bed, Scott and I like to re-read past love letters we've written to each other. Elisabeth's love letter addressed to me this Valentine's made me laugh. Here it is for you to read, you can click to enlarge it(if you ask me, it reads more like a threat than a love note :)):

We also try to do fun things for meals. For breakfast we had pink, heart-shaped pancakes and a special Valentine's smoothie.
Here is the recipe for the smoothie.

Heart Smoothie

1 cup vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 small ripe banana
1/2 cup ice cubes
1 1/4 cups mixed frozen berries (raspberries, marionberries, blueberries)
3-4 frozen strawberries
2 Tbsp agave or maple syrup

strawberries to garnish
Directions: Add to blender in order listed and blend. Add more milk if too thick. Add more ice/fruit if too thin. Can garnish with fresh stawberry.


For dinner we had a heart-shaped pizza with sparkling cranberry juice(100% juice). Scott brought home sugar cookies for everyone. They were leftover from a work lunch. They were so beautifully decorated. No one actually finished their sugar cookie which was fine with me.

One of the things I don't like about Valentine's is all the candy that comes home from school with the Valentine's cards. Elisabeth came home with tons of candy (mostly fun dip...I hate fun dip. Messy and pure sugar!). Her backpack had blue sugar all along the bottom and on her homework. I had each child pick one candy to save for a future date and the rest we threw away.
Happy Love Day!

4 comments:

April said...

Cute ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Angela said...

I love your love letters idea. I wish I would have done that when the kids were little. You are such a fun mom!

Elisa said...

Thanks ladies! I remember hearing something similar to this while attending BYU. I'm glad we decided to implement the idea.

The Horne's said...

Love how you celebrate. LOVE for the whole family, inexpensive, and meaningful. Great great great Elisa!!!