Friday, February 18, 2011

Lady Bug Cakes



This was the first time I used a spray on food color. I bought red. It worked pretty well and I was grateful I didn't need to buy and use an entire bottle of no-taste red food coloring. Like I mentioned in Annabelle's birthday post, I made the ladybugs using a few different pans I had on hand. The big lady bug was made with one of the halves of the ball cake pan, and the head was a mini bundt pan. The little lady bug used a mini bundt pan for the body and a cupcake for the head. Everything is in buttercream accept for the pipe cleaner antennae.

And a picture of the lady bug cake along with the inspiring lady bug pillow pet. I know the pillow pet has a skin-colored face, but I think it looks a little weird so I stuck with the all black face.

3 comments:

The Horne's said...

I love your cakes!!

carrie r. said...

These are so cute. I have a question. Do you still use white sugar and other traditional ingredients in your cakes and frostings? Or have you switched to natural sweeteners for these? Just curious!

Elisa said...

Thanks ladies!

Carrie, unfortunately I haven't been able to find natural sweeteners that would work consistency wise for cake decorating. Which may be why most of us got sick (Annabelle and Jane got colds after the last post of us being sick). I need to do some experimenting.