Sunday, February 20, 2011

Health Journey Part 2

Much of this post will sound familiar and that's because I'm redoing it. We should all get a second chance, right?

When I first wrote this post, it was very different. But I know now that I wrote it while I was still sick, and in the middle of the night, and I'm not sure I was thinking completely straight. After re-reading one of my posts, I didn't like the way it sounded, or the feeling that came across. So I'm changing the post up a bit and am going to rename this post: Health Journey Part 2. Since I referred to Doctrine and Covenants in the Health Journey post a couple of times, I thought it a good idea to type some of it in here. (Now this part is going to be a repeat for those of you who already read this)

The Lord is in charge. He gave us this earth and all the things on it. He tells us:
"All wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man-
Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving....
Flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air...for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly.
All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life...
All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine..." D&C 89:10-16

Most people who read and follow the Word of Wisdom, follow the 'do nots' but they don't always follow the 'do's. I truly believe the promise that is written at the end of the Word of Wisdom(which I will include at the end). I believe that we will receive this promise when we are not only following the things in the Word of Wisdom that we're not supposed to do (we're not to drink coffee and habit forming/addictive substances-which is clarified in the church handbook- alcohol, consume tobacco), but also when we are following the words that I have copied above; the things that are good for us, plants and grains etc., that Heavenly Father has provided for us so that we shall, "receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures. And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint." Doctrine and Covenants 89:18-20 (Bold italics added by myself)

I have experienced these blessings. I have prayed. I have exercised faith and followed the counsel in these scriptures and then seen the blessings in health and wisdom that follow. I know I can do more, and I will continuously try. I am grateful to be blessed with a normally healthy body, and I think when we are struck with an illness, it helps us to more fully recognize that blessing. I am so grateful the Lord has given us this guide and I know that if we follow it, we can receive the blessings he has listed above.

No comments: