Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Almond milk

I just finished the classic novel, Rebecca, for book club. Not my favorite, but it was alright. I didn't really love any of the characters. Anyway, I'm telling you this because that is why I haven't posted in several days--spending all my free time reading-- and also why I will be posting quite a few over the next few days.
Have I mentioned how much I like my high power blender? I do. A lot. I use it every day, sometimes several times a day. One of the things I make regularly, besides green smoothies, is almond milk. I've never been a fan of cows milk. Scott and the kids don't mind it, but when the kids get runny noses, I try to limit their dairy. Normally I buy rice dream from Costco, but now that I can make my own almond milk, I won't have to buy it so much. I love that this recipe is super easy, simple and fast.Here it is:

Almond Milk

3/4 c soaked almonds

3 c water
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp stevia
Blend together water and almonds in high power blender on medium speed for a minute. Add vanilla and stevia and pulse for a few seconds. Strain, pour into glass jar and chill in the fridge.

Here is a picture of my almonds soaking in water. I usually put some in a bowl in the morning and let them soak all day. Once the kids are in bed I blend them up, strain it and put it in a jar in the fridge so it's chilled by morning and they can have it with their granola:

I was using a cheesecloth in the beginning to strain out the tiny almond bits that got left after blending, but the cheesecloth still let quite a bit through and my kids didn't love that. I also didn't like having to cut up pieces of cheesecloth so often and throw it away. It seemed like a waste. I looked online for a nut milk bag because our local health food stores don't carry them. It looked like it would end up costing me about $15 with shipping. That seemed a little pricey for a little bit of nylon mesh material. I thought maybe I could try and make one, but I couldn't find any nylon mesh at Walmart. I didn't feel like going to a fabric store just then, and I'm really not that great at sewing anyway. I checked online again and read a few comments on the nut milk bag. Several people said they bought paint strainer bags from Home Depot for much cheaper and they worked just the same. I thought I'd give that a try. I found the paint strainer bags and got a pack of 2 for $2.44 with tax! I've used it many, many times now and it's wonderful! It really does make such a big difference straining it through the nylon mesh rather than the cheesecloth. And I reuse it over and over again. I just dump the remains in the garbage(someday, when I have a dehydrator I'll use those remains) and rinse the bag out. Also, the nylon mesh bag is great for rinsing quinoa.

5 comments:

Shayla Taylor said...

You can freeze the nut pulp and use it later! You don't have to dehydrate it if you don't want to. :)

April said...

Also, if you leave in the pulp, the milk makes GREAT shakes. Add un-strained almond milk into your fantastic blender with some frozen bananas (they make for the best creaminess), and any other fruit or flavor you like to make vegan ice cream. I add some raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder) and some agave to taste. YUM!

Elisa said...

I have the best readers! thanks ladies! I'll have to try that. Shay, what do you use the pulp for later? I saw dehydrated pulp used in a type of cookie/cracker. Would you do the same thing?

berrymom said...

Hmmm...I am definitely going to try that!

Katie said...

You can put the pulp in breads/pancakes/muffins as protein filler.


Good to see you on blogger Elisa. Your family is beautiful!