Saturday, January 29, 2011

Charlie's 5 year stats

Charlie had a wellness check recently. Here are his 5 year stats:

Height: 43.5 inches- 61%
Weight: 37.92 lbs- 28%
BMI: 14.1- 9%

Charlie is healthy and well and growing beautifully. Charlie also had his eyes tested(he passed fine) and got the last couple of immunizations he needed to start kindergarten this coming year. I don't have my kids get the flu shot because: one, it's not life threatening, two, it's optional and three, Elisabeth got the flu from it when she was a baby. She got it really, really bad. And apparently that happens fairly often from what I've been told and from what I've read. So we stick with the mandatory immunizations, the ones that without such could be life threatening. I'm so thankful that diseases like polio which were prevalent not so long ago, are now nearly non existent. There is even an immunization for chicken pox which I think is pretty amazing! I remember when me and a few of my siblings all got it at the same time. I was very young, but I remember it because it was a nightmare. I'm thankful my kids probably won't ever have to go through that. I don't think I've seen a kid with chicken pox in a long time. And I bet my parents generation is thinking the same thing about polio, whooping cough (pertussis), tetanus and so on. Yes, I am grateful to live now, in a time where modern medicines are advanced, knowledge on plants and herbs as food for medicine is growing and because of this our 4 children are alive and well.

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." Hippocrates, father of modern medicine

Rare are the photos of Charles where he is not making a goofy face. Here he is lifting a horse with his tinkertoy crane:

2 comments:

The Horne's said...

Elisa,
How do you handle pressure from the doctors? I feel like when i tell my docs that I'm not getting Brooklyn a flu shot, OR myself, they think I'm crazy. I don't trust it, it's not necessary, and I just don't feel good about it, but I feel like I get the evil eye from them. How do you handle that?

Elisa said...

I know that feeling. I've had it before. Especially in the beginning, when it was our first. I felt like the doctors thought they knew everything and I knew nothing. And I was unsure of myself. Since then we've had several different pediatricians because of moves. I've had a lot of practice over the years with various doctors and since we've moved to Utah, I was already set and from the very beginning I was open and honest with my doctor. I told her about Elisabeth's bad reaction and told her that none of us would do the flu shots. She still asks every time (they have to), "Will any of you be getting the flu shot today?" but she also already knows my answer. A very straightforward "No. We aren't." And then she'll say, "I just have to ask," with a smile, and I say, "I know." And that's that. I think mostly you just need to be firm if that's really what you want. Know what you want to do before you go in and then do it. And don't say it in an unsure voice. Good luck Heidi! Doctors are good and I'm glad we have them, but they don't know everything. They aren't our children's mothers and aren't with them 24/7 like we are. Go with what feels right, and say a prayer before that you will have strength to do what's right and feel peace. I'm sure you'll do great.