Thursday, January 6, 2011

Agave Peanut Butter Cookies

We got a scanner this week so I could put older pictures on the computer. I love it and am completely preoccupied with it, scanning hundreds, and hundreds of old photos. Scott and I have been having an enjoyable time going through wedding and honeymoon photos and photos from our childhoods. Anyway, with that project, a cooking/food storage class I'm doing next week for church, Charlie's birthday this week(which means I need to make a 'How To Train Your Dragon' cake) and working on the 2010 blog book (I have to finish it by the first week in February so I can use a discounted certificate I bought a couple months back), I'm finding I have very little writing time. Once Charlie's cake is done this week, the class is behind me, and the photos are all scanned, I'll be able to use more of my free time(aka when the kids are fast asleep for the night) to catch up on blogging.

Until then, I thought I'd post a peanut butter cookie recipe I came up with a couple weeks ago that is sweetened with agave. I generally do half shortening in most of my recipes since we live in a high elevation area and without it, they come out really flat. If you hate shortening and live in high elevation, you could also add a little more flour with some water, but you'll need to check on the amounts. If you are located in lower elevations, you can use all butter.

These also freeze really well. We let them cool completely first and then put a bunch in a Freezer quart sized ziploc bag. I take a couple out about a half hour before we want some and let it thaw on the counter. Or, you can stick it in the microwave for a few seconds.


Agave Peanut Butter Cookies

¼ c butter
¼ c shortening
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 c agave
½ c peanut butter(chunky or smooth)
¾ c white flour
¾ c wheat flour
¾ tsp baking soda
1 c peanuts (optional...though I didn't do this but used chunky natural peanut butter)

Mix wet ingredients in large bowl. Mix flour and baking soda together and combine with the wet ingredients. Slowly mix in peanuts. Chill dough for 2 hours. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake 10-12 minutes until light brown.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Those sound so good!! I will have to try them. When you use agave in your baking recipes is it the liquid agave? That is the only agave I have ever purchased, and I was just wondering if it works well in your baked goods?!?

Elisa said...

Yes! Agave is kind of like honey though it's thinner/runnier. You usually have to adjust the liquids in a recipe when using agave.