Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sucanat Caramel Corn

I love caramel corn. I consider it a weakness of mine. If there's a fresh batch in front of me, I really have a hard time leaving it alone. And one handful doesn't usually cut it. So, I came up with this healthier version of caramel corn that we all still really like! This caramel corn contains no corn syrup or refined sugars. I'll be making another batch for New Year's Eve.

Sucanat Caramel Corn

2 Tbsp oil(I used coconut oil*)

2/3 c popcorn kernels

(or you could do 1 1/2-2 bags of popped popcorn)


½ c butter

½ c Sucanat*

¼ c brown rice syrup*

1 tsp vanilla

1/8 tsp salt

1/8 tsp baking soda


Add oil and kernels to a popcorn maker and make according to directions. Or use 2 bags popped popcorn. Dump into a large mixing bowl and remove any unpopped kernels with a spoon if still hot.

Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add remaining ingredients, accept soda, and bring to a boil on medium to medium-high heat. Boil for 30 seconds and then remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and immediately pour over popped popcorn. Stir together.

*These items can be found in most local health food stores. If they don't carry it, talk to an employee because many times they're happy to order it in. My nearest health food store didn't carry Sucanat but we were able to order some and they said they'd keep some on the shelf for me in the future. Sweet!

2 comments:

April said...

Awesome! I'll be glad to try it soon too! I just happen to have some brown rice syrup in my cupboard. :)

April said...

P.S. I love that you asked your store to get it in. Stores will bring in what we will buy. Way to "vote with your fork!"