Saturday, December 18, 2010

Homemade Clif Bars


I really like Clif Bars. So does Scott. They taste good, they're pretty good for you and they fill you up! The downside is that they're not cheap. The best price I've seen is at Costco. You can get a box of 24 for $20, so 83 cents a bar, which isn't terrible. But still, a bit pricey. Especially since a couple of my kids like them too. Here is the recipe I made up, tested tons of times, and we have it now just the way we want it. It's not exactly like a Clif Bar, but it's close and we all love them. I make a 9x13 pan of 15 bars which would be similar in size to the Clif Bar, a little smaller, and I figured out it would cost me about 37 cents a bar which would save you $11 on a box from Costco. I love that these don't take a really long time to make, there's no baking in the oven, and they're a nice snack to grab on the go. Here's my recipe(which I've adapted from Enlightened Cookings website; the one where home made Lara Bars also come from):

Clif Bars
4 c ground crisp rice cereal (I use the brown rice crisps and grind them in my food processor for a few seconds)
2 1/2 c ground quick-cooking oats(grind in food processor for a few seconds)
4 Tbsp flaxseed meal
2/3 c date paste (to make date paste: put 1 c dates in food processor with 1/2 c water. Blend together. You can also do this with other dried fruit)
1/2 c finely chopped nuts or seeds (I use whatever is on hand...usually almonds/sunflower seeds)
1 c brown rice syrup
1 c chunky natural peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix together rice cereal, oats, flaxseed meal, date paste and nuts in a large bowl. Combine syrup and peanut butter in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted and well-blended. Stir in vanilla until blended. Pour syrup mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until coated. Press firmly into a 9x13 pan, using a piece of wax or parchment paper, while pressing with your hand, to flatten(they're sticky). Allow to chill 30 minutes to help set. Cut into 15-16 bars. Can wrap bars tightly in saran wrap, in ziplocs, or you can just cover the pan. Store them in the fridge, though you can keep them out for several hours and they're still fine(They just get a little soft since they're made with natural pb and rice syrup...but so far, not a problem. Scott and Elisabeth take them to school and work every day.)

Here are a couple of the bars cut and wrapped. Aren't these perfect? You can just grab one out of the fridge and throw it in your purse/bag etc.

I figure many of you have probably never made date paste. Here is a picture of what it should sort of look like:

3 comments:

carrie r. said...

These look so yummy!

April said...

Way to go! I have some similar recipes. We should share and compare!

Margot said...

Hmmm... I may try a nut-free version of this.