Sunday, October 17, 2010

Degrading, mind-numbing, time wasting....

I've always loved the story of Superman. I loved having a good, honest, virtuous superhero who helped others. Scott and I rented Lois and Clark some years ago, from the library, and watched all the seasons. They were fun and pretty clean for the most part. Scott and I used to be faithful watchers of the TV show Smallville. After finishing season 7(a few years ago), we decided we wouldn't watch it regularly. It was getting pretty violent and there was some other bad stuff occasionally too. Once season 8 finished airing on tv, we ended up renting it from the library and watching the whole season on dvd, fast forwarding the sketchy parts. Season 9 we didn't watch at all while it was on TV but one day I saw a preview online which showed they were starting season 10 and that it would be the final season of Smallville. 10 years of episodes coming to an end. Which means Clark Kent would learn how to fly and Lois and Clark would get together. I'd been waiting for this to happen for years! I started thinking, 'well we'll just go back and watch the last few episodes from season 9 and then we can start watching season 10, since it's the last one.' Well, season ten has lived up to it's violent reputation and I think has gotten worse. And there's other trashy material in so many different parts that we ended up going to other websites during the show and actually watching maybe half of it(we watch it online after it's aired so we can watch it at a more convenient time). Like Elder Hales said in the previous conference, there are some shows he'll never be old enough to watch. I felt this way while watching Smallville.

After last week's episode, Scott and I had a talk. We decided that it'd be best to stop watching it. Forever. Yes, I'm still curious as to what will happen in the end(though if you know the Superman story, we all pretty much know what will happen, right?) and when he'll fly, but I've decided that my curiosity is not worth having my mind filled with filth. And, I don't want the CW to get the wrong impression and think that I like all the trash that they're showing because my TV is on.

I had another bad experience with a show this week. Scott had to go into work one night from 10pm-1am to watch traffic where there's lots of construction going on. I thought I might try and wait up for him. So I went onto new.lds.org and read some conference talks and other things which was great. After awhile on there I thought I'd see if I could find a movie or something to watch online to kill some time. I had heard a couple people say good things about a show called Glee which had singing and dancing, and thought I'd give it a try. Wrong! It was SO bad. So, so bad. I snapped it off within the first couple of minutes because of how immoral it was and decided to just go to bed. So now Scott and I are back to watching zero shows again and you know what, I'm glad. We're so busy already that having a regular show each week felt like a complete waste of time, especially when the shows regularly have that, 'one bad part'. It reminded me of the many talks that were given in general conference about being careful of entertainment that is 'coarse, degrading, violent, mind-numbing, and time wasting.' It's so nice to have latter day apostles and prophets who know what we're up against these days and give us continual guidance and counsel.

8 comments:

Casey said...

I can't watch glee either. It's awful!

Maryann said...

We feel the same way about TV. Even if we want to watch something, it feels like we don't have any time! We are exhausted by the time our children get to bed.
Good for you for ending turning it off!

Maren said...

Yeah, we don't watch any TV shows either. Bummer about Glee. I heard good things too. Oh well. Embarrassingly, admit that i was a WB watcher when I was in high school. And i completely agree with the title of your post. It was "Degrading, mind-numbing, time wasting..." but I would also add "desensitizing" to the list.

Vanessa said...

I know what you are saying, Elisa. For the past few years, we've always had one or two shows to watch, which we usually would do while eating dinner when I got home from school because I just needed some time to decompress. Now our shows are over, but we occasionally watch the Office. I used to think that show had funny parts, but now it is exactly like your post title: mind-numbing and time wasting. So now we mostly eat while talking about our day and then read, do music, and reconnect with family/friends online after dinner. It is much more fulfilling, though getting in the habit it a little tough. I still feel like I WANT to be watching a tv show. When I do, I always feel disappointed and angry that I lost that valuable time afterward.

The Horne's said...

Hey Elisa,
I heard the same things about Glee. Everyone was like "Heidi, you'll love Glee, it's so funny and singing and dancing." I watched an episode and had no idea why people would think I'd like it.
There are barely any good shows on these days. And none of the sitcoms have a moral to the story like Full House, Cosby, or some of those other shows used to have. They don't have good messages and it's very sad. All of the teenagers are mouthy and don't respect parents or authority.
It's very sad.

Margot said...

I'm sorry if I was one of the people that recommended Glee. I was in Show Choir in high school, so I felt a connection to the show. Sadly, it's been getting progressively worse. I had been fighting with myself for a while as to whether I should keep watching it or not. I decided a few days before I read your post that it had to go. No more Glee for me. You're right, it was all the things that your title says.

Ugh, why can't there be an uplifting TV show?

Elisa said...

I honestly can't remember where I saw/heard those recommendations. Just remember making a mental note to give that show a try some time.

kelley said...

That really is a bummer about Glee. I watched most of last season and most of this season so far and I have to say it is quite different this season. Even some of my non-Mormon friends have said that this season is definitely pushing it to far. Last season was funnier and more wholesome in general with heavier focus on the "after-school special" kind of moments. I definitely don't feel very inclined to watch the rest of the season.