Tuesday, September 14, 2010

These Is My Words




I just finished reading, "These Is My Words," last night by Nancy E Turner. It's a historical fiction, 1880-1901, based on some true experiences about the authors great grandmother who lived in the Arizona territories. It is written in a journal format and it's cool to see how the main character, Sarah, grows and progresses throughout the years. You notice a big difference in language and education when you compare the beginning of the book with the end. I, of course, especially loved the story of her and her to-be husband, and I loved that it went further than just the marriage, but took you into years of a happy marriage with several children. How many books and movies do that these days? Not many, so that was fun.

I was glad to have known about the sad end before I even started the book because I was prepared for it and it didn't make me dislike the book, though if I were the author, I would've changed the end, maybe cut off the last 50 pages or so without all the sadness and sorrow. Anyway, I did very much so enjoy this book and like many good books I've read, I find myself going back and reading different passages; especially passages with fun conversations between Sarah and Captain Jack Elliot.

3 comments:

Casey said...

I liked these books especially book 1 and 2. 3 wasn't worth it to me, but that's because I didn't like the changes in the main character. Anyway, you might want to check them out.

Danica said...

This is one of my favorites. I really liked both 2 and 3 also, for what it's worth. It was very interesting to see her and her family change. It was hard for me to want to move on from her with Jack though! Sorry you guys have been sick...

Rachel said...

I loved these books also. But the first is by far my favorite. So sorry to hear you have all been so sick. The flu is literally the pits. Can't complain with a five pound loss though, if there was ever an up side to the flu that's it!!