Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Taquitos



This recipe came from the book, Deceptively Delicious. In the book they're called, "tortilla cigars". I didn't like that name, and since they look like taquitos, I thought we'd change their name. Basically a cheese and chicken quesadilla, rolled up on half a whole wheat tortilla. Yellow squash and carrots are the hidden purees. I had just pureed some squash this weekend that I got from our local garden share(I love garden shares. Brilliant!). And I had some frozen carrot puree from a few months back. My kids LOVED these. Elisabeth and Charles each ate several and during dinner they kept saying things like, "good job mom!", "these are so good!" "this is my new favorite dinner." and "we should make these every day!" Hearing things like that is rare and so rewarding. I don't know why I didn't think to try these earlier since I know they love tacos and burritos(which reminds me: "taco, burrito, what's comin' outta your speedo, you've got trouble, whew! You're blowin' bubbles, whew!" Anyone know what I'm quoting from? Scott, you can't guess. You're all going to think I'm crazy, but it just popped into my mind and I couldn't help myself). Here's the recipe with a couple slight modifications:

Taquitos

1 c shredded, cooked chicken

½ c grated cheddar cheese

½ c yellow squash puree

½ c carrot puree

4 oz cream cheese

¼ tsp garlic powder

¼ tsp salt

6 burrito size whole-wheat tortillas

optional: I substitute 1 c cooked black beans for the chicken

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, cheese, squash and carrot purees, cream cheese, garlic powder and salt. Cut the tortillas in half(pizza cutter makes things easy). Place one half on the work surface with the straight edge facing you. Spread about 2 Tbsp of the filling along that edge from one side to the other. Starting at the edge, roll the tortilla into a taquito shape, completely enclosing the filling. Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Stuff and roll the rest of the tortillas the same way. Bake until the tortillas begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I will have to try this...thanks for posting it!

The Horne's said...

I know it - SNL!!"Who's the man out of your tee pee? It's me, it's me!!" :-D LOL!!!
Those taquitos look great!