Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Lemon-Poppy Seed Poundcake


We made this dessert and ate it as our Family Home Evening treat this week. It was yummy. I found the dessert in the book, The Kind Diet. They use maple sugar and maple syrup as the sweeteners. I changed a couple of things in the recipe since I'm not vegan and will eat things like eggs and butter.

As a side note, I've been doing more of my own recipe modifications when it comes to sugars. Instead of using a cup of sugar, I'll use a teaspoon of stevia or 2/3 c agave. I use agave in more baked goods like my breads and things. I've substituted stevia for the maple sugar in my granola recipe which will make it a lot less expensive and is still really yummy.

Lemon-Poppy Seed Poundcake
serves 8-10

1 c whole wheat flour
1 c flour
1/3 c maple sugar
2 tsp egg replacer (I used two eggs)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp sea salt
½ c soy, rice or nut milk (I used regular milk)
¼ c fresh lemon juice
½ c safflower oil (I used ½ c butter)
½ c maple syrup
1 tsp lemon extract
2 Tbsp poppy seeds

Lemon maple glaze: (we made this lemon glaze. I think next time around I'll use a little less lemon juice).
½ c maple syrup
½ c lemon juice
2 tsp kuzu, diluted in a little bit of cold water

Berry glaze:
1 bag frozen berries, thawed
Maple syrup to taste
vanilla to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Oil the pans (you can use 3 mini loaf pans, a muffin tin, or 4 mini bundt pans).

Combine the flours, sugar, egg replacer, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the milk with the lemon juice and set aside for a few minutes; it will look curdled. Whisk in the oil, syrup, and lemon extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir just until combines. Fold in the poppy seeds.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans, and bake for 15-25 minutes (mini loafs and muffins take about 15-18min; loaf and bundt pans take 20-25 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake completely in the pans on a baking rack.

If using the lemon maple glaze, combine the syrup and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the diluted kuzu, and continue stirring until the glaze comes to a boil. Simmer for 1 minutes. Drizzle over the cake and serve.

If using the berry glaze, whiz the berries in a blender with the syrup and vanilla to taste. Drizzle over the cake and serve.

1 comment:

April said...

Looks good, but what in the world is kuzu? :)