Sunday, August 29, 2010

Granola

I love granola. My family loves granola. I love that I can have a small bowl of this granola and fill satisfied because of the high nutrition content. Nuts, oats, seeds and in particular flax seeds. Flax is high in fiber and the omega-3 essential fatty acids. I use raw, local honey in this recipe. Raw honey contains vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Local honey seems to help both my husband and I with our allergies which makes sense since it means the bees are local and the honey will have some particles of pollen from local plants.

This granola is so yummy with milk(we usually have ours with rice or almond milk) as a cereal for breakfast or in plain yogurt with some fruit and a little agave or other natural sweetener. I know this recipe is large, but my family(5 of us) eats it every morning for breakfast and we go through this amount in about 7-10 days. You can easily halve this recipe. Let's get cooking!

Get your oats out and put them in a large roaster pan. Stick them in the oven at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes. While they're in there, pull out your other ingredients. Grind your flax seeds. Then chop up your other nuts and seeds(I chop all of them except my sesame seeds). I throw all of my nuts/seeds into my high power blender and pulse it about 2 or three times(just for a second each), shake it, and then pulse it again one or two times.
It'll look like this when ground(picture below). You can pulse it less and keep it chunkier, but since I have really little children eating mine, I grind them pretty small for less of a choking hazard...and to get my older kids to eat it at all. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt together the oils, water and honey. Take your oats out of the oven and mix in all the remaining dry ingredients. Pour the oil mixture over everything and then stir it well to combine. Bake it in the oven for about 25 minutes(turn the heat up to 350 if you want it a little crunchier but then also take it out after about 15 minutes to stir.) Pull it out and add in your maple syrup or agave and your vanilla and almond extract. Stir well and then put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes. It's all ready! Let it cool and then store it in an airtight container. It'll store well in your pantry for about a week and a couple of weeks in your fridge.

THE RECIPE:

Granola
16 c rolled regular oats
2 c wheat germ(buy inexpensively in bulk at Winco)
2 c raw nuts (I use chopped almonds, pecans, or walnuts)
½ c sunflower seeds
1/4 c flax seeds(I grind these with the nuts in my blender; if you don't have a high power blender or a coffee grinder you may want to buy these already ground)
1/4 c sesame seeds
2 c shredded unsweetened coconut (found at health food stores or Winco)
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c coconut oil, melted (buy this at health food stores)
1/4 c water
1 c honey (raw if possible)
4 Tbsp vanilla
1 Tbsp almond extract
1/2 c pure maple syrup or agave
Put oats in a large pan(I use a roaster pan with sides that are a couple inches tall) and dry roast for ten minutes at 300 degrees. Take out and mix together with other grains, nuts and seeds thoroughly. Melt together oils, water and honey in a small saucepan. Pour over oat mixture and stir well. Spread out in pan and bake at 300 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown(if you want more of a crunchy granola, cook it at 350 degrees for about the same amount of time). Stir half way through. Take out and mix in syrup or agave, vanilla and almond extract. Bake 5 more minutes. Store in airtight container on pantry for a week or in fridge for a couple of weeks.

5 comments:

Casey said...

I made your granola today and it was very good. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Combitos said...

Elisa, I found your blog a long time ago when we wrote back and forth on facebook. I remembered you had a granola recipe I wanted to try and finally got around to making it! (I think you know my dad keeps bees so we always are looking for honey recipes!) I had to dig back through my history to stalk back to your blog but I was glad I finally found it again. The granola was awesome! Thanks for sharing :) Your family is the sweetest and it was great to get caught up. -Meggan

carrie r. said...

Elisa, I was making this tonight for the first time, and I noticed some of your directions say to "add the oils, water and honey" but there is no measurement for water in the ingredients. How much water is supposed to be added to this recipe or was that a typo? Thanks!

Elisa said...

Carrie, yes, sorry, let me change that on the recipe. And the answer is 'yes'. I sometimes add in water and sometimes don't. I'd say more often than not I add about 1/4 c water so it's not as dry.

carrie r. said...

Ok, thanks! I noticed it was a little dry with no water so I added a bit. At first I wasn't sure I liked the granola but then I am used to store-bought sweetened stuff, this flavor had to grow on me but now I really like it. My husband and 5 year old really like it too, which is important! I will probably make it again with less vanilla. Thanks for this recipe, I refer to you recipes quite often! I was ready to tackle yogurt last week too until I realized we have no pilot light in our oven, so I'll have to figure out another plan before I try that one.