Friday, August 20, 2010

Difficulties backing up


I am not the best driver. I am a safe driver, I try and drive the speed limit, but that doesn't mean I have great driving skills. Besides missing a turn in a road on a dark, rainy night and running into a tree(and please keep in mind that I was 16 or 17), I haven't had any major accidents beyond that. I did get rear ended once, but my car was fine, and it wasn't my fault(I don't think).

I would say that my driving skills have improved over the years, but I'm still not great at backing up or parallel parking. I think I'm not good at these because I seem to miscalculate the amount of space available compared to the size of my vehicle. I'm not a visual person. So I avoid parallel parking, but backing up is something I have to do on a regular basis. Since we've had our mini van, I've hit a couple of small things while backing out of the garage or driving into the garage. I don't really count hitting Scott's work bench because no damage was done to either object. And, until he hung the tennis ball up so I would know when to stop, I used his work bench as my stopping marker. One time, I did almost take off my passenger side mirror. Luckily, it's still in tact and the frame is just cracked.

And last week, I almost crushed my double stroller. Instead I just messed up the wheel. And Scott fixed it. Mostly. It's not as smooth of a ride, but it works. I don't know what I'd do without him.

No comments: