Thursday, June 17, 2010

Home-made snacks and clips


We have several snacks that we love and keep on hand most of the time. One of those snacks is home-made granola. I love granola. Charles loves granola and Annabelle loves granola. We eat it every day, sometimes a couple of times a day. We don't eat it with anything else. Just granola, in a bowl. And I love, love the recipe we use and have used for the past couple of years. It's chewy and yummy and healthy(no added sugars; honey is the sole sweetener) and filling; I always put in a cup of almonds and a cup of pecans chopped. I buy the big raw bags of those nuts from Costco and they will make several batches of granola. Though we go through almonds pretty fast in our house because, besides Elisabeth, we all love to snack on raw almonds, too. If you want the granola recipe, you can find it on an older post of mine, here.

Moving onto another topic; Elisabeth likes the big elaborate bows that many girls wear these days. I personally think many of them look a little ridiculous, especially when in comparison with the size of the heads of these little girls. But, like I said, Elisabeth loves them and this past week she spent $5.50 of her own hard-earned money, for one hair bow which I thought was too expensive. So this afternoon I went hunting through my sewing tupperware container--which took about 5 seconds since I don't sew much which means I don't have much-- and I found several different types of ribbon, many of which were scrap pieces I'd saved from various projects over the years. I used her new hair clip as a guide, and made her another one with what we had. I even had a really old and ugly metal clip with an even uglier dragon fly on it that no one ever wears, so I ripped off the metal dragon fly and attached our completed bow to the clip to finish the product. Elisabeth was so excited to have another large bow clip. Though, I purposely made this bow a little smaller than the one she has on her head in the previous post.
It doesn't look half bad. I think they're starting to grow on me. An acquired taste I suppose.

2 comments:

April said...

Neat. thanks for sharing the granola recipe. We make some that we really like too. I'm glad to try another kind as well.
Here's the link to the recipe we use:

http://goodlookingcook.blogspot.com/2009/09/feel-good-granola.html

Samantha said...

Can't wait to try the granola recipe.

Cool craftiness.