Monday, June 14, 2010

Green smoothie

One of my BYU roomies, April, told me about green smoothies about a week ago. You can find April's health food blog here. I watched a couple of videos and read some information on them and decided I'd give them a try. All that goes in these smoothies are: green leafy vegetables(So far I've used spinach and kale), water, fruit, and a little stevia/agave/honey if you need it to be sweetened a little, but that's optional. That's it. No yogurt, no ice cream, no sugar or juice. I really like these smoothies. And it's cool because I normally don't eat kale on a regular basis and will occasionally have some spinach, but definitely not the amounts that I'm putting in this smoothie, especially when I'm drinking this every day. Here's a couple of recipes I really like so far:

1 cup water
spinach- a few big handfuls
kale- one leaf
2 bananas
1 apple cored
and a bowl full of frozen berries(blueberries, strawberries etc)
1 tsp stevia
blend in food processor or blender until smooth.

And my favorite(and Elisabeth, who has been my pickiest with these smoothies, will even drink this one! Perhaps because it's purple and not green):
1 banana
1 apple cored
1 cup red seedless grapes
1 bowl frozen mixed berries(I get the bag from Costco with raspberries, marion berries and blue berries)
2 handfuls of spinach
1/2 leaf kale(i'll try it with a whole leaf in a week or so)
blend in food processor or blender until smooth.

I get all of this in for breakfast, plus I still have a fruit and veggie with dinner or lunch or both. I've only been doing this for about a week, but even on the first day I noticed an increase in my energy level and I was more even tempered/less moody than normal(which is saying a lot since it's 'my-time-of-the-month'), and I noticed that my cravings for other sweet or unhealthy foods has decreased.

Annabelle and Charlie will drink most of the green smoothies I make, but Elisabeth will only have one that's all fruit, and the one I mentioned above. She doesn't want to see any green specks in it :). I'm hoping that I can slowly add more greens to her fruit smoothie and get her adjusted to the taste, color and texture of this green smoothie.

Here are a couple of videos on it if you'd like to watch. The first is of Robyn Openshaw, who has a book on green smoothies, and the second is of the son of another woman who has written a book called 'green for life' that also does green smoothies.


4 comments:

Janelle said...

I love green smoothies. I also add a handful of baby carrots to mine. If your blender/food processor blends them fine enough you'll never even know they're in there!

April said...

Wahoo! This makes me so glad to see, E!

Shayla Taylor said...

Hurray E! Welcome to the green side! I make a Kale or spinach, Orange and Banana Smoothie every morning, throw it in my water bottle and sip on it while I am getting the kids going. :) SOOOO good.

Lani said...

Hi, Elisa. I'm Robin's sister, Lani. I sometimes check out your blog through hers. Thanks for sharing these recipes, we're going to try some green smoothie today!