Wednesday, June 16, 2010

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth



We had a picnic lunch today with daddy, and while we were eating Elisabeth started to cry and said her tooth really hurt. I looked up at her and saw that her mouth was bleeding. We had her spit out her food, thinking her other front tooth might be in it, but it was still attached. She rinsed it out and tried to eat again, this time with smaller bites, but it still hurt and she asked if I would pull it out. If this was the me from 6 years ago, before I had kids, I would have probably laughed thinking that was a funny joke, or thrown up if I thought she was serious. But having four kids has given me plenty of opportunities to clean up blood and puke and boogers and poop and so on, so it's not too big of a deal anymore. That's not to say I like it, but sometimes, you gotta do, what you gotta do.

"Really?" I asked. "You want me to do it?"
"Yeah, mom."
"Wouldn't you rather do it yourself?" I asked.
"No."
"It'll probably hurt," I added.
"Just try and do it softly."
"Alright."
I crouched down and hesitantly moved my hand in and gently tugged at it. It didn't come out.
"ouch!"
"Sorry, Elisabeth. I felt it and I can tell it's just barely hanging on. Do you want me to try again and do it quick?" I asked, uncertain if I could really do it myself. Or at least, with my eyes open.
"Uh-huh," she said, nodding her head. But I could tell she was no longer certain this was a good idea.
"Okay. Here I go." I looked inside her mouth, grabbed a hold of the tooth and gave it one quick, not so soft tug and it came right out. And she didn't cry! It bled a little but we got it all cleaned up and then she was feeling much better.

Now she's got a little lisp when she talks. It's kinda cute; as long as it doesn't last forever :).

Changing gears a bit, Elisabeth had her end of the year kindergarten testing this week, and even though she's one of the youngest in her class(she'll be 6 in a couple of weeks), she's definitely not lacking in any way. In fact, when she was tested for reading, her teacher told me she's at the third grade level already. I knew she was ahead of the class because part way through the year they had her go work with the first grade teacher and after a couple of weeks she started bringing home chapter books, but I didn't know how far ahead that really was. She's doing really good in all of the other areas of academics too, but reading is her strongest point. Way to go, Lis!

3 comments:

Angela said...

She looks SO cute! Isn't it nice that the vanity that we all suffer from as adults, hasn't touched her. Look at her smiling and so proud of her missing two front teeth. I don't think I'll want to do that when my teeth start falling out:)
What a little smartie, too! She has wise parents who focus on reading and not watching TV.

Vanessa said...

These are such great pictures! What a brave girl Elizabeth is, too.

Samantha said...

That's awesome that she's such a great reader...she must inherit it from you.