Monday, May 24, 2010

Carmelitos and Dulce de Leche


So you know when you buy caramel at the store, sometimes it's also labeled as Dulce de Leche? What I'm wondering is how come I never put it together that caramel or Dulce de leche is cooked sweetened condensed milk . I mean, I speak some spanish(my dad is from Mexico and has an extremely thick accent and speaks 'spanglish' for heavens sake, so I should know some), I understand more than I can speak, and I knew that the translation means sweet milk, so I wonder why it has taken me 27 years to figure this out. Anyway, we had a cool relief society class on ethnic cooking last week and one of the dishes was a Chilean cake that was so tasty and pretty simple. She explained how to make caramel from the sweetened condensed milk: you take the milk in the sealed can and boil it for three hours. That's it. Cool huh?

Now, switching gears a little: I remember eating a dessert many years ago that left quite an impression on me. Sister Nye, my sweet next door neighbor all growing up, made this dessert and I got the recipe from her at that time. Now, it has chocolate in it and since I gave up chocolate some 7 years ago, I thought I'd never be able to have this dessert again. But last week I read through the recipe again and realized that the only chocolate was the chocolate chips and that can be easily substituted with white chocolate chips. So Sunday we made Carmelitos with 2/3 of it white chocolate and the other third chocolate. It is AMAZING! Better than I even remembered. I mean, it's so good that I'm humming to myself as I chew each bite. Now you're wondering why I'm writing this on my Dulce de leche post and I'll tell you. It's because you use a whole jar of Mrs. Richardson's caramel, and even though I didn't substitute it with a boiled can of sweetened condensed milk, the thought did cross my mind. And so, there you have it. And here is the recipe just in case you want to give it a try. But, I will warn you that this is definitely not a healthy treat, it's rich and very addicting.


-->
Carmelito's

2 c flour (I use whole wheat)
2 c oats
1 ½ c brown sugar
1 tsp soda
½ tsp salt
Mix above ingredients and add 1 ½ c. melted butter

Press 2/3 of this dough into a 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle over top:
2c chopped nuts
12 oz milk chocolate chips(I make half pan with white chocolate and butterscotch)

Heat 1 jar of Mrs. Richardson's butterscotch caramel in microwave for 1 minute and then add 6 Tbsp flour to it. Pour over pan(avoid edges) and crumble the remaining dough over top and bake for 20 minutes.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

And theoretically, you can add sugar to milk and boil it down to get sweetened, condensed milk. I don't know what ration of milk:sugar you would need, but I'm sure you could google it.

I'm seriously going to need to make those carmelitos. Those sound tasty!

Also, just wondering what prompted you to give up chocolate?

Janelle said...

I meant ratio, not ration. My bad.

The Horne's said...

Yes, I just learned this recently. We wanted carmel covered apples...and we just cooked thes sweetened condensed milk, and there we had it.

Rachel said...

That sounds so gooood! I think I am going to make it today, thanks for sharing the recipe! Good to know about sweetened condensed milk too, I did not know that!