Saturday, May 15, 2010

Deceptively Delicious

I got this book, Deceptively Delicious(the one by Jerry Seinfeld's wife), from Kelley and Jericho for my birthday. They have some neat information in there with tips and tricks on getting your kids to eat healthier foods. One idea I liked was setting out a bowl of fruit or veggies about an hour before meal time, so that when you have your starving kids come into the kitchen begging for food(which mine always do), you won't mind if they're snacking before dinner because they're eating carrots and other things that are great for their bodies. So now I'll have a bowl out of fruit during the morning and early afternoon, and a bowl of veggies and dip out later in the afternoon. It has worked pretty good so far, and it's nice because since it's out and so easy, I'm snacking on it a lot more too.

Here's a picture of the fruit bowl (grapes and strawberries for today) and my homemade whole wheat bread. I've just started slicing the entire loaf at one time and storing it in the store bought bread bags so that it's easy and convenient.

We tried out one of the recipes from Deceptively Delicious this week and loved it. We made frozen yogurt pops. They're better than the homemade frozen juice pops because the texture in these is a lot creamier, almost like an ice cream bar. And you can't suck the juice out and be left with a piece of ice on a stick, which is nice.
Frozen Yogurt Pops- sweetener modified by Elisa

2 c plain lowfat yogurt (or whatever yogurt you have on hand)
2 c frozen berries (I used strawberries and blueberries)
pinch of stevia or 1 Tbsp real maple syrup, raw honey or frozen juice from concentrate

Combine yogurt, fruit and sweetener in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze 2 hours. Makes 8 popsicles. (And Scott, if you're reading this I'm sure you'll notice that I misread 'freeze 2 hours and makes 8 popsicles' and instead told you we needed to freeze them for 8 hours. Whoops! That's okay, it was still a nice treat we were able to enjoy the next day.)

2 comments:

Robin said...

So funny...I got that book a few years ago but only dusted it off these last few weeks. We tried the yogo pops this weekend too. They will be so good for warm weather. My kids downed the applesauce muffins and the gingerbread too. The tortilla cigars are next on my list I think. We tried the pita pizzas, but I didn't hide the spinach well enough. Let me know how different recipes go over for your family :).

Lindsay said...

I am definitely going to try those Popsicles with my kids--they look yummy! And keep posting any yummy recipes that your kids like from that book. I am always on the lookout for healthy things they will actually eat!