Monday, May 17, 2010

A busy weekend, but not without blessings

Scott was out in North Carolina this weekend, like I mentioned earlier, and was able to do some fun things with his family: temple sealing, beach, birthday party, catching up with an old friend etc.

My dad flew out from Seattle at the same time to visit us here in Utah. The weekend was busy and a little crazy without Scott, but I got through all right, though we probably won't ever have him travel again for several days at a time while we have 4 little children, one of which is a newborn.

I did experience a few blessings this weekend:

1.Blessing number one; we made it through Saturday.

Saturday afternoon my dad took me and the kids out for lunch and ice cream. As I was half way through eating my bowl of ice cream, I remembered that the last couple of times I ate ice cream, baby Jane projectile vomited a couple of times over the next several hours. I didn't finish the ice cream, but knew that it was probably still too late and that Jane would most likely have a hard time that day. And she did. From about noon on, she was really fussy. She didn't ever want to be put down and wouldn't sleep for more than a few minutes at a time. Finally about 1am, she fell asleep, and stayed asleep. And no projectile spit-up but more spit up than normal and some was 'curdley' looking.

2. Blessing number 2; I made it through church with the 4 children, on my own.

I was tired Sunday morning, but happy because Jane was obviously no longer in pain. I got myself and the 4 children ready for church and we were there, on time(another blessing), at 9am. My dad didn't come because, at age 83, it's really hard for him to walk which is a little embarrassing for him. Anyhow, I said a couple of prayers before hand that I would be okay by myself, and everything went amazingly well. Jane slept the entire 3 hours(something she hadn't done for quite some time) which was such a blessing, especially during that first hour when we're all together with the kids because I didn't know how I'd be able to manage if she was fussy: I could take all four kids in the nursing room with me, or just take the two babies and hope that Elisabeth and Charles could sit nicely on their own....yikes, I'm not so sure about that. Anyway, I didn't have to deal with that because baby slept and the kids sat as reverently as an almost 6, 4 and 2-year-old could possibly sit.

3. Blessing number three; Scott arrived safely on Sunday afternoon.

4. Blessing number four; we made it through those four days unscathed.

It was busy, busy, busy, but we did it. There were times I would completely forget what I was doing. For instance, Jane pooped one evening and so I brought her back in my bedroom to change her diaper. I laid her in her bassinet, got out a diaper and a baby wipe, undid her sleeper and onsie and then was set upon by three crazy children who needed me right that instant. So I stopped what I was doing and went to help them. Probably 45 minutes to an hour later, once the other three were in bed, I went back into my bedroom to change into my nightgown and noticed Jane lying in the bassinet, awake and half way undressed. That's when I remembered that I had begun to change her diaper, but forgot to finish. Well, at least she was happy lying there by herself, undressed and not crying.

5. Blessing number five; Jane slept for 9 hours straight Sunday night to Monday morning! She's never even come close to doing this before. It was such a wonderful thing, I sure hope she does it again some time soon.

6. Blessing number six; Dad was here and was able to hold baby Jane and visit with us!


Rachel said...

I'm so glad things went so well. That is so fun your dad got to come meet Jane and help out!! That is neat for Scott that he was able to go to North Carolina and be with his family at the Temple. It's just to bad you were unable to go and left with four kids. If there is anyone who could do that without disaster it is you Elisa!!! Your amazing!! By the way I got that book "Deceptively Delicious" Today and I really like it so far!!

Jason said...

Glad to hear you survived the weekend unscathed. As the "old friend" (not to be confused with a friend who's old) Scott caught up with, I can definitely vouch that he missed you guys just as much as you guys missed him :)

Lindsay said...

you are so brave, going to church with all 4 kids by yourself---I don't think I could handle it with my 4 :)
I am glad you survived the weekend though. I can totally imagine how exhausting it must have been.