Sunday, March 7, 2010

Possible ear infection and church

Last night at 3am I awoke to the sound of Elisabeth's soft crying at the side of my bed.
"Mommy, my ear really hurts."
"What?" I asked sleepily.
"My ear hurts. This one," she said, pointing to her left ear.
I got up and we walked out to the kitchen and gave Elisabeth some children's Tylenol for the pain. I knew we couldn't do much about it at the time; we'd need to wait until the instacare was open later in the morning, or perhaps if we could numb the pain, wait until Monday so we could go see her pediatrician.

She didn't want to go back to sleep downstairs, she wanted to sleep near me, but I knew I wouldn't sleep well if she was in our room. So we set up a makeshift bed on the couch in the living room; well actually in the entry way because we'd just shampooed our upstairs carpets that evening and moved the furniture out of the way until it dried. She slept fine and this morning said her ear was feeling better. But I have seen her do some funny jaw opening things throughout the morning and afternoon, so I think it may still be bothering her a little. She's been perfectly healthy, no colds or congestion or runny nose, so I'm guessing she has an ear infection from getting water trapped in the middle ear from swim lessons. She had a swim lesson Saturday morning. It's interesting because she had almost the exact same thing happen to her over a year ago, though it was from laying down in the tub on her back with her ears submerged for a long period of time. I'm just glad she's not feeling any pain right now. If the pain starts up again I'll probably give her more Tylenol for today(and a priesthood blessing) and hope that will hold her off until tomorrow when the doctor's office is open again so we don't have to do the instacare thing.

And moving onto another topic: all the kids did really well at church today and Annabelle even ran into her nursery class smiling! I'm so glad she's beginning to enjoy it again even though her brother is no longer in there with her. And I don't know if I've mentioned Charlie's sunbeam teacher before, Sister Kipp, but she's amazing and perfect for the kids she teaches. They all love and adore her! It's so cute to watch Charlie with her because as soon as he walks into the classroom, he'll run in and snuggle up next to her side and hold onto her arm or give her a big hug. He loves her so much and I'm sure it's got a lot to do with how much love and kindness and patience she shows to him and all the other little children in his class. We feel so lucky to have such amazing people in our life who are great examples for us and our children.

No comments: