Saturday, March 6, 2010

Love of food and some Bella Bands


Sometimes I laugh at myself when I go back and look through the pictures I've taken because it becomes very obvious that I love food. Since I've taken several pictures of different foods over the past week or two, I thought I'd put them all here in one post.

I made a loaf of wheat bread a couple of weeks ago in my food processor. I had to halve the recipe in order for it to fit in my food processor and even then, I think it was too much liquid for the little machine. It got a little messy. But the bread turned out fine. Then this week, after reading that Robin, my sister-in-law, made wheat bread by hand, I thought I'd give it a shot as well. And it turned out great! I used the same recipe I did before but made a couple of small modifications that Robin talked about in hers and it was easy and probably took an hour total, even with baking and rising time! Amazing!

I've made chicken salad sandwiches a few times in the past month. I LOVE these! I have a recipe that I've used for a few years and still love, though I recently made a minor modification to that one too after reading my friend Casey's blog. I enjoy reading recipes and comments that other cooks make on the recipes to find out what could make something better. Good times. Oh and Charlie loves these too which was a surprise since he's been pretty picky lately. But it seems like he'll eat anything that's in the form of a hamburger bun: hamburgers, sloppy joes, chicken salad sandwiches etc. Elisabeth and Annabelle refused to try it so they ate hot dogs when we had these for dinner. By the way, I served these on the whole wheat thin bread they sell at Costco which we really like. Here's the recipe for that:

Chicken Salad

3 c. chopped cooked chicken(I boil)

1 c. chopped celery (2-3 stalks)

1c. grapes cut in half (the grapes really make this recipe outstanding! They're sweet and moist and juicy and just perfect!)

1/2 c. thinly sliced green onions (about 3)

1/3 c. mayo

1/3 c. slaw dressing

Combine all ingredients. Cover and chill 1-4 hours.


We had book club at my house this evening(we read The Count of Monte Cristo) which means I'm the hostess and provide refreshments. I made a strawberry trifle and I also had some carrots and broccoli with dip. Though I didn't make the pound cake in the trifle...I let Costco do that :). The trifle was light and fluffy and so good. I helped myself to a second serving once everyone had left. Oh and by the way, the pound cake held up nicely even the day after book club. It didn't get all soggy which was nice.
And the recipe for the Strawberry Trifle:

Ingredients

  • 1 (5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 3 cups cold milk
  • 1 (9 inch) angel food cake, or pound cake(I used pound) cut in cubes
  • 1 (16 ounce) package frozen strawberries, thawed, or fresh strawberries sliced(I used fresh)
  • 2 c. of whipping cream all mixed with it's sugar(or agave in my case) and ready as a topping
Directions
  1. Prepare pudding with milk according to package directions. Mix together pudding and most of whipped cream; set some whipped cream aside to layer on the very top of the dish. In a trifle bowl or other glass serving dish, layer half the cake pieces, half the pudding mix half the strawberries. Repeat layers then top with remaining whipped cream and add a few whole strawberries or other fruit to garnish. Cover and chill in refrigerator 4 hours before serving.
And completely changing the subject: in one of my more recent posts, I mentioned that many of my maternity tops could no longer completely cover my belly. And so my dear, sweet friend Casey from WA, sent off two Bella Bands, a pink one and a brown one. Bella bands are basically little stretchy belly tube tops that you pull on and wear just below your bra and that will go down pretty far allowing yourself to remain covered when you've got a huge belly like mine. It'll be great when I'm nursing too and having to pull up my shirt: this way my tummy and back will always be covered. They also help keep my pants in place right now which has been another problem with my huge belly...it pushes my pants down a little lower than I would like. So anyway, thank you Casey! You're a gem!

2 comments:

Casey said...

Yay! I'm glad you like them. :)

Wheat bread in an hour? Wow!

The Horne's said...

YES I love the bella bands...they look just like a tank top under your clothing and kind of help pull everything in! how great!