Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lis update, stacks and food...again

I had my 36 week check up on Monday and was planning on bringing Elisabeth with me so we could swing by her doctor's office since they're both located in the same hospital, but she refused, insisting that her ear was completely better. So we'll leave it for now; I'm just hoping that it won't get worse after her next swim lesson.
It's interesting to me that Scott and I are pretty good about keeping a tidy house, and yet our bedroom is almost always cluttered with stacks of books and papers. We both love to read and read a lot and we have a tendency to read several things at once and so what we end up with are piles and stacks of books and manuals and Ensign magazines and scriptures covering every inch of hard flat surface. We'll clean off and try and organize our head board every couple of months, but after a few days, it starts looking disheveled again. When we read until we're about to fall asleep, all I have energy to do is reach my arm somewhere behind me and lay down the book somewhere(I'm usually not looking, and many times my eyes are shut). I don't want to sit up and I definitely don't want to get out of bed to put the book back where it belongs. Maybe what we need is a nightstand with drawers so we can just throw everything in there and shut the drawer so no one else can see it. But, I'm pretty sure, even then, we'd still end up having piles of books all around our bed and on top of the night stand. It's just that the reading material has got to be close and easily accessible.
And, as a side note(and since I seem to have a weakness for food), my friend Elisa gave me this really yummy wheat roll recipe this week. I made it using 4c. whole wheat flour and 4c. white flour. I used half the dough to make crescents to go with dinner, and the other half I rolled out and made cinnamon rolls. Both were SO good!
Here's the recipe for any who would like to try these(it's a little long and includes some notes from myself):

Feather Light Rolls (crescents and cinnamon rolls too!)

2 Tbsp. Yeast mixed in ½ c. warm water

1 tsp sugar (sprinkled over top of yeast)

1 ¾ c. scalded milk

½ c. butter or olive oil

½ c. sugar

2 tsp salt

3 eggs

8 c flour (whole wheat, white or combo...I do half and half)

¼ c gluten or 2 Tbsp dough enhancer(I used gluten)


Directions:

Warm a glass dish in oven at 200 degrees. Mix together yeast in warm water with sugar. Cover and let stand ten minutes. Place cube of butter in large mixing bowl and add scalded milk and mix. Add sugar, continue mixing. Add 2 cups of flour and salt. Mix well. Add eggs, one at a time. Add yeast mixture, gluten and remaining flour. Knead for 15 minutes. Add more flour a little at a time until dough sticks together and becomes elastic. Turn off oven and pull out glass dish. Oil dish and place dough inside. Turn dough and let rise until doubled(about ½ hour).


Divide into three balls if making all crescents. Roll each ball into a circle. Brush with melted butter. Cut each circle into 12 or 14 crescent rolls then roll them up. Place on greased cookie sheets. (if you don't want to cook them all at once, you could freeze them here, on their cookie sheet and then put in a bag. Once ready to use, let rise again). Let rise 1 ½ -2 hours. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.


*I just divided the dough in two and used half to make crescent rolls and the other half to make cinnamon rolls(though the cinnamon roll dough had a little bit more than the crescent roll dough). To make the cinnamon rolls, roll out the dough in a rectangle so that it's about ¼ '' thick. Generously spread with soft butter and then sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar mixture(I used about 3/4c brown sugar and 2 Tbsp cinnamon...I think it's more than most recipes normally use, but we LOVE it this way). Roll up and cut into 1 and ¾ '' slices with floss. Put on baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. When done, cover with icing.


And here are a couple of good icing recipes:

Cream Cheese icing:

½ c butter/margarine

1/8 tsp salt

¼ c cream cheese

1 ½ c powdered sugar

½ tsp vanilla

OR

Cinnabon Frosting:

1/2 c softened butter

2 c powdered sugar

1 ½ tsp lemon extract

4 tsp milk


2 comments:

Rachel said...

I know what you mean. We often have books overflowing our end tables also. I think that's a good thing! Those rolls look amazing. Every time you talk about "wheat" it makes me want to go out and by a wheat grinder!!

Lindsay said...

mmmm...send me the recipe, would you?? I don't have a good one that calls for wheat flour, although I guess i could just substitute wheat flour into it :) I have a really really good home made granola bar recipe that calls for wheat flour--I plan to post it on my blog because my sister and mom wanted it also. Your kids would love it!