Friday, March 26, 2010

Jane Angela Smith has arrived!

Yesterday, Thursday March 25th, started out as a typical day. The kids and I went to the airport in the morning to pick up Granny Garnica and Becca(their arrival turns out to be miraculous timing). We ate lunch, took Elisabeth to school and then I went to my 38 week(more like 38 and 1/2) checkup. I've been feeling very uncomfortable lately: very frequent urination, baby feels like she's sitting way down low, hard to walk, a lot of swelling etc. So when I got to my appointment, I asked the doctor if he'd strip my membranes. He said, 'if your uterus is open.' And it was. I was dilated to a 2 and 50% effaced, which is pretty good for me. It normally takes a long time for me to get there. Anyway, he did his uncomfortable little procedure and then we talked about possible induction dates for the future. He reminded me that he'll be out of town from April 1-8. I went home and watched a friends son that I switch with so we can volunteer at the elementary school. I visited with the ladies in my family and read some books with the kids; normal stuff. Around 430pm, my mom and I went on a walk. My stomach tightens occasionally when I walk, and it did again this time, but I didn't think too much of it. When we got home we ate dinner and Scott had someone come look at his car and sold it actually, but he'll make the final transaction at the bank tomorrow(Saturday).

After dinner we cleaned up and got the kids ready for bed. Scott was supposed to go camping the next day with the 11 year old scouts (his new calling) and needed to get a few things from the store so I gave him my list of groceries as well and he went off and did that. While he was gone, my mom and I visited and looked at all wheel drive cars, online for Scott. During this time I noticed that my stomach was doing some more tightening, but I couldn't tell if it was regular or not because I wasn't looking at a clock and I felt like, this was too early for me(Charlie came the very earliest being 5 days early, and today I'd be 12 days early) so I decided that it's probably just that I'm feeling uncomfortable with the way I was sitting on the couch.

Once Scott got home from the store, we put the groceries away and unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, visited a little longer and then went off to bed. This was around 1030pm. I felt like the tightening of my tummy was a little more regular and wondered if they could be contractions. I decided to straighten my hair and do a few more things around the house. I told Scott I thought I was having contractions so he stayed up with me...well we both kept sort of dozing off in bed but then the contractions started to feel a lot closer together and were getting a little painful. We timed them from midnight until about 130am, which is when we decided we should probably head to the hospital. I started packing my bag around 1am so that was all ready, and when I made my last trip to the bathroom at home just around 130am, I was bleeding a little. So off to the hospital we went...it's about a 5 minute drive.

We got to the hospital around 2am. The nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 5 and the contractions were really getting painful. And I was bleeding a little more. They checked me in(which seemed to take forever because of the pain I was in), moved me to my labor and delivery room and started me on an IV and gave me an epidural. I sure love those! The pain was gone and both Scott and I were able to rest for a little while. That was around 3am.

Around 430am I called in my nurse because I was having some sharp pains in my back and my lower stomach. I thought perhaps my epidural stopped working. She wasn't sure if that was it. Apparently my doctor was just across the hall, so she asked me to do one practice push just to see if maybe baby was getting ready to come down since I was dilated to a ten now. I did and baby Jane's head came out part way! The nurse quickly asked me to stop pushing. Boy was that pretty much impossible at that point! I couldn't really stop her from coming out any more. The nurse yelled for help and the pediatric nurse came in and gave her a syringe and baby Jane just kept on sliding out. My doctor walked in as Jane made her first cry. He came over, sewed me up(I had a second degree tear) which was fine because there was no pain from the epidural, and helped me deliver the placenta.

Baby Jane was born at 444am(which was the same exact time Elisabeth was born!) on Friday March 26th and weighed 6lbs. 12 oz (Elisabeth was probably only an ounce off from Jane in weight) and was 19 inches tall. She has a perfectly round head(probably since I only gave one push) and the perfect amount of dark brown hair. Her eyes look sort of a grayish color, so we'll have to wait and see if they change. She's a fantastic nurser and she's adorable and perfect in every way! We love her so much already.

We're both doing really well now. Jane and I have gotten some good naps in this morning, and in fact, she's still sleeping now. I'm grateful to the Lord for this miraculous timing he planned with baby and my mom's arrival, and I'm grateful to Him that all went so well. Everything works so well on His time. He has answered many of our prayers and I'm so grateful to Him for that.

Here are a few pictures. I'll be sure to post more as we take them.

22 comments:

Janelle said...

Congrats! She's adorable, and I'm super impressed with the timely post!

Danica said...

Congratulations you guys!!! SO excited for you - she's beautiful.

The Clarks said...

Awwww! What awesome timing! And what an amazing birthing story! That's how I want mine to be! :D Please let me know if you ever need anything!

Lori said...

Congratulations on a beautiful baby girl! That is not what I expected since I had just checked your blog yesterday - talk about up-to-date timing. You guys are on the ball - you should take it easy and get lots of sleep and enjoy that newborn!

Clark Family said...

Congratulations! She is adorable, and what a treat that she was so early!!

Casey said...

Congrats! I LOVE the name Jane. :)

Betsy said...

I can't belive she's here already!! I can't wait to meet her. So glad you and baby are doing well!!

LeMira said...

Congratulations!

Lindsay said...

Wow--I was shocked when I read your blog and saw that she had arrived! I guess I was just assuming she would come later since you said you might need to be induced. How exciting though and what perfect timing. I'm so glad you have lots of help. Take it easy and you will have to let me know how the adjustment to 4 is--I'm a little nervous. I feel like I already have my hands so full--how in the world can I handle more??!!

Sarah said...

Congrats! She's a cutie! Let me know if you need anything!!!

Kimberlyn said...

Congratulations on another beautiful baby girl!

Katie and Eric said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful.

Leatham Family said...

Congratulations Elisa! I'm glad she was early for you and healthy. She's beautiful!

Jessica and Brad said...

Congratulations!! She is a cute one!!

whelmar said...

Congratulations! She looks like Charles!

Rachel said...

Aww...congratulations! Can't wait to see more pics of baby Jane! Hope you're getting lots of rest! :)

Mary said...

Congratulations, Elisa!! I adore the name Jane. A beautiful name for a beautiful little girl.

Margot said...

Congratulations! Jane is beautiful and is so lucky to get to be in your family. And, wow, I'm so glad your mom got there when she did!

The Horne's said...

YIPEE!!!

berrymom said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you.

Kev and Chels said...

congratulations! I'm glad we checked your blog and got to see Jane. Cute little gal, and name! I would be so excited to have a baby 12 days early, as long as they're healthy!

btdsmithca said...

Dears Elisa & Scott. Congratulations on your beautiful daughter's birth. You don't know me, but I am curious as to how you chose your daughter's name. This was my mum's name, too, and she passed away March 25, 2010. Your daughter was born at 4:44, and my Mum was born in '44.

I hope that you don't find this weird. I think it's sort of beautiful and I wish you all the joys of parenting, family, love and light.

Best regards,
Byron Smith
http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Jane-Smith&lc=3729&pid=141285703&mid=4183645&=