Monday, February 8, 2010

The Scarlet Pimpernel

I read The Scarlet Pimpernel for book club this past month and loved it! It made me wonder why I'd never read it before in my life. It's a historical romance about the French Revolution. The Scarlet Pimpernel is a man of many disguises so that he can help save the aristocrats who are being beheaded. I won't say any more, but read it. It's fun and exciting and there's a little bit of mystery involved as well. Afterward, Scott and I rented the 1980 something adaptation with Jane Seymour, and we both really enjoyed it. And a favorite quote from the book:

They seek him here, they seek him there,
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven, or is he in hell?
That demmed, elusive Pimpernel.

2 comments:

Margot said...

I love that book! You should see if your library has the soundtrack for the Broadway musical. It has some fabulous music.

Kev and Chels said...

i have loved this book since 8th grade! i'm just sad i missed it while it was on broadway!