Saturday, February 13, 2010
I've been looking for a lamp for Charlie's room for a few months. He's been asking for one for awhile. Elisabeth has a princess lamp in her room that she uses at night to read books in bed before she goes to sleep and he wants to be able to do that as well. I wanted to get a cool 'boyish' looking lamp with either sports balls or cars and trucks or something like that. The best price I could find was for $30 at Target, and that seemed like too much. And it wasn't exactly what I wanted. What I really wanted was a Cars lamp, from Cars the movie since Charlie has Cars bedding and a Cars toy chest and lots of other Cars themed things.
Last week on my friend Lindsays blog, she wrote about how she covered a lamp she had using fabric and fabric adhesive spray on a lamp shade. I knew when I read her post that this was my answer. So today I went to Walmart and bought a lamp and shade on sale for $7, Cars fabric for $1.50(I bought 1/3 of a yard) and a small can of the fabric adhesive spray for $3. And then I went home and put it together. Scott helped me pull the fabric around the lamp shade nice and tight and all in all, it was very easy and it only cost us about $12(and if I do another lamp it'll be less because I still have some spray left). It looks so good and Charlie LOVES it! Tonight when Charlie went to bed with his new lamp, Scott peeked in on him and said that he was just sitting in his bed, staring at his Cars lamp smiling :).
Just in case you're wondering how to do it here are some simple instructions(it probably took about 30 minutes):
lay out your fabric and lamp on a covered area(the spray adhesive is a bit messy and goes on like a mist which means it'll get surrounding areas, so be sure to do this)
spray the fabric and the lamp shade and then carefully wrap the lamp in the fabric.
Once it's on the way you want it, cut the excess fabric off, leaving about 1/2 inch hanging over the edge that you can cut every inch or so and then fold under on both top and bottom of lamp edge. You may need to use some hot glue to help keep the edges folded under, but I found that for the most part, the fabric was still sticky enough that it stuck to the inside pretty well.