Thursday, December 31, 2009

Home, Mom and New Years Eve

We're back home again. Mom is feeling really well and so we changed our plans and came home a few days early because we miss Scott and he has today, tomorrow and the weekend off from work and we wanted to be with him(and he really missed us too, of course). We were blessed to find flights for all three of us for the same price as our old tickets, so we didn't have to pay any fees for the change. The flight home went really well despite the 45 minute delay. There was a family of four, mom, dad and two little boys in front of us as we boarded the plane, and the woman, upon seeing pregnant me, alone with three little ones, smiles and says to me, "you're my favorite person." She made me happy.

Mom started driving again last week and is enjoying a little more freedom, though she's still taking it easy of course. We went to see her old Doctor, Dr. Traverso, almost two weeks ago and he thought she looked great and was healing wonderfully and his advice to her was to get back to work! Then we met with her new doctor who is an oncologist. He basically said to live her life and we'll go without chemo for now(maybe forever), she may try natural things, and they'll do a CAT scan in the end of March to see what everything looks like and how much the cancer has grown(if any). If it's grown a lot or is giving her a lot of pain(which she's experiencing none of right now and she's not taking pain meds), then they may try something else to help alleviate the symptoms. He says it is pancreatic cancer, but it's not the really aggressive kind that her father had. This one is called Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumor and is supposed to be pretty slow moving. We're praying and hoping for the best!

I will have to post some pictures later of our trip to WA when Scott brings his lap top home, but for now we'll just do without.

Today Scott took Elisabeth and Charles sledding on their new sled from Santa. I stayed home with Annabelle; I fell down a couple stairs today and really hurt my bum and my arm so I laid low for most of the day trying to ease the pain(most of which came from the tailbone area). I don't think anything is broken because the pain isn't excruciating, but it's noticeable... I'll probably have some nice bruises tomorrow. I made sure to lay down for awhile afterward until I felt the baby move, and she did and all seems normal: lot's of movement, and no bleeding is always good. After the fall, Scott and I decided that I will no longer walk down the stairs with my arms full of things. After dinner we played hide-and-seek and hungry hippos, and then once Annabelle was in bed we played some more mature games like pick-up-sticks, old maid, go fish and chutes and ladders. The kids enjoyed staying up later playing with mom and dad and eating snacks. And now that all the children are in bed, Scott and I are getting ready to play boggle and checkers; I can't wait! Happy 2010!

1 comment:

The Horne's said...

So good to hear about your mom.
My dad is going through chemo right now and it was a really hard visit to see him. He's just not feeling well at all. He calls the office "Poison Palace" and that's really what it is. I hope your mom is able to heal naturally.
My dad's numbers are dropping dramatically which is a good thing, but he has lost so much weight cause he can't really eat well. It's a really hard battle to watch with the eyes.
I'm glad you guys had a good visit. OH and take care of yourself, glad baby is moving around and hope that you feel better soon.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!