Monday, November 23, 2009

Thoughts on New Moon and the Twilight saga

My friend Maren and I went and saw New Moon this past Friday evening. I thought the movie was much better made than the last. There was a lot more dialogue, they followed the book more closely, the music was better and really, just everything about it was well done. And I actually liked this movie better than the book New Moon, probably because instead of reading hundreds of pages about a depressed 18-year-old broken hearted girl, you only have about a half hour of it. So that was nice.

There were mostly women(and girls) in our theater, though we did get to sit next to a middle aged male who kept yelling 'shut-up' to the women who would cheer and squeal when certain actors appeared on screen. It was kind of funny, and annoying. I just don't like it when people are squealing so much that you can't hear what's being said. Anyhow, apparently Eclipse is done being filmed and they're not sure if they're going to make Breaking Dawn into a movie yet...which I can understand. I mean, Bella and Edward did get married in that book and all the readers got to experience a bit of their honeymoon(nothing terribly explicit, but uh, I could definitely see where Hollywood could make this really, really bad).

Maren and I talked afterword about different things we've been picking up from these books(and movies) that seem a little shady:
1. Bella wants to be intimate with Edward and not get married
2. Edward spends the night in Bella's room, every night...even though they're not doing anything
3. Bella is obsessed and completely dependent on Edward and when he left her she went into a 3 month or longer depression and never fully recovered until she got together with him again.
Hum, and I'm sure there's more, but those were a few we talked about.

Anyway, sorry about the randomness of my thoughts here, but that's how my brain works sometimes.

2 comments:

kelley said...

I understand what you're saying. Well #2, he's not "sleeping". He just sits there and watches her. Which I don't know if that's shady or creepy. :)
#3, totally agree. It's why I like her relationship with Jacob better. It's much healthier and more believable.
My friends and I expressed the same thing about being very appreciative of them not making us listen to her heart broken thoughts for the first half of the movie. They did well to capture it in a condensed way.
I'm relieved to know they might not be making the 4th movie. I've been worried about how they'll do that one. It was my least favorite anyway.
Okay. Done with the really long comment now.

Vanessa said...

Twilight is a wolf in sheep's clothing.