Monday, October 19, 2009

The Secret Journal of Brett Colton

My cousin recommended this book on her blog, so I picked up this 350 page book from the library this week and read it in just a few days. It was definitely a page turner. It's not action packed, but there were a couple of things I really liked about this book. One, it had a sweet love story(I'm a HUGE sap for clean love stories), two, I loved the relationship part of the book concerning family and three, it went over some really good, life changing, inspiring lessons on what life is all about. In short, it's about a boy who is diagnosed with leukemia at the age of 15, doesn't have religion in his life, but begins to want it in his life at this time, dies when he's 17, but leaves a journal he wrote while he was sick, to his baby sister to read when she's 16. Here's one excerpt from his journal:
"If I can leave you only one piece of advice, it would be to...seize every opportunity that comes....like telling someone 'I love you,' and 'thanks for being my friend.' Most of the time, those turn out to be the biggest moments and opportunities in your life."
The author of this book is Kay Lynn Mangum. Oh and by the way, I just noticed on goodreads there's a new book out by Shannon Hale(well it came out some time this year, not exactly sure when). I know some of you are fans of hers, so I thought I'd pass on the word.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I own this book. YOu could have checked it out of my library :). My sister-in-law says the new Shannon Hale book is "interesting".