Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fall festival cake





Every year our ward has a 'Fall Festival' rather than a Halloween party. Families come with soups, and we eat dinner and dessert and then we have a talent show and they have a table set to display talents. I was asked to make a cake for the display, so I made a two tier, butter cream, fall cake. Everything is decorated in butter cream including the mum, the rose, and the pumpkin. And no, the pumpkin isn't a big ball of frosting; I used part of the core of the ten inch cake, rounded it with a knife and then frosted it in orange. And I didn't use a chocolate butter cream recipe to get that dark brown color, but I did have to use the entire bottle of color to get it as dark as I wanted, so I may use chocolate frosting the next time I want a dark brown color.

Whenever I make cakes, someone asks me about how long it took me to decorate. So I thought I'd spare you all the curiosity by documenting it here. I started baking Thursday morning and finished Friday afternoon around 3pm. I probably spent 8 hours on the cake if you include the time it takes to mix and bake the cake, make and color frosting, cut and stack the cakes and decorate them. And Scott helped me make and color frosting Thursday night so I should probably add another hour for his help. Thank goodness I take pictures of them because it gets eaten up so fast I think I would be depressed if I didn't have a picture to look back on and remember what took up so many hours of my life. I know I posted a lot of pictures of the same cake here, but I like to have pictures of my cakes at different angles. And in reality, I took A LOT more so if you knew how much I narrowed it down, I think you'd actually be impressed that I was able to choose four.

6 comments:

MarieC said...

I will never get tired of seeing pictures of your cakes. They are gorgeous! This one is great--what I want to know is if everyone's mouths turned brown from the high concentration of brown food coloring?

Gina said...

It looks gorgeous!! I really love the colors in it.

Rachael said...

Wow ! So pretty , way to go!!

Rachel said...

That is so pretty! What a neat cake! Our ward has a Fall Festival also. Except no ones deserts looked nearly that nice!

Lori said...

What a special talent you have - that looks so fabulous! Great job - I'm sure everyone was impressed.

Maren said...

It was a gorgeous cake. I wish i would have gotten a taste!