Monday, July 13, 2009

Scary dinner stop, outside of Boise

The two oldest kids sat in the back of the van and watched a few movies during our 13 hour drive to Bothell, WA.

During our drive to Washington, we stopped just outside of Boise for dinner at McDonalds. While I ordered food, Scott got Annabelle in her high chair, and the two big kids were on tall stools, swinging back and forth, waiting for us to sit. As I was putting my wallet back into my diaper bag after ordering our food, I heard a weird sounding, cry/moan come from Elisabeth. I turned around and saw her swaying on the ground. Her body went limp and she fell back into Scott's arms that were now around her. I asked Scott what was happening and he said she fell off the stool and landed on her head and stomach. She continued to moan and slur, as we tried to get her to look at us and tell us something. Her eyes crossed a couple of times, then they rolled back into her head, her eyes shut, and she was completely out. We were frantic with worry. Here we are in another state, an unknown city, have no idea where a hospital is and our little 5 year old is now unconcious in McDonalds. The thought occurred to me, 'within seconds, I could have a happy, healthy child, and in a moment, she could be taken from me, never to be seen again, in this life,' and it was a very scary but very true thought. A stranger nearby called 911 and soon there was a fire truck and 2 ambulances outside McDonalds. At this point in time, Elisabeth was awake, she was very confused and disoriented when she woke up, but she was awake, which made my heart swell with joy, and she laid on my shoulder as I walked around with her. She wouldn't talk much and seemed to have no energy. She had been unconcious for probably 10 seconds. We brought her out to the ambulance and sat in the parked truck while they checked her pulse and asked her questions. She didn't talk much and we weren't really sure what to do next:take her to the hospital and have them check for a serious head injury, or continue on our road trip. After talking to the doctor inside the truck, we decided to continue on our drive, and just watch her carefully for any signs of more serious problems.

She started to perk up and act herself again after being on the road for about an hour and a half. We said lots of prayers, and I continuously had a prayer in my heart during the remainder of our trip. Once we got to my aunt's house in the tri-cities, which is where we stopped and stayed for the night, we got ready for bed and Scott gave Elisabeth a priesthood blessing which was very comforting. The next day we got together with Fred(my brother) and Robin's family and when we told them the story, Fred thought it sounded like she fainted....Fred does nuclear medicine and has to stick people with needles and he's seen quite a few people faint. So, I'm hoping that's all it was. Later, Elisabeth told us that she hit her chin and not her head, and her chin is still tender now, three days later, but I think it may just be a bad bruise. Other than that, she's doing well and seems like her normal self again. I'm so grateful we had Scott with us who holds the priesthood and was able to give her a blessing. I'm grateful for the power of prayer, and that we're all able to pray, at any moment of the day, for comfort, guidance and help. I'm so grateful to have a loving Heavenly Father and our Savior who died for us which enables us to return to him and for families to be together forever.

6 comments:

berrymom said...

Oh Elisa...what a scary experience!!! I am so relieved to hear she is okay. That will be an experience you will never forget, I am sure.

April said...

Oh my, scary for sure. Elliot did something similar to me and it really wigged me out. Glad she's fine now! Have fun on your trip!

Betsy said...

Bless her heart!! I am so glad she is ok. What a sweet girl she is!!

The Horne's said...

Elisa, this is so scary!!! I can't imagine going through that. I'm glad to hear she's ok, I hope you enjoy your time in bothell.

Angela said...

..and Grandma Smith is so relieved that she is doing fine:) I love my little Elisabeth!

Ludwig Family Blog said...

Oh my goodness! SO scary! That reminds me of when Andrew went unconsious after his seizure. It was the most frightening thing imaginable..and I had the same thought about how precious life is, and how quickly it could change. It sounds like you were blessed. Hopefully she is fine now, and it doesn't happen again. Sooo scary.