Sunday, July 26, 2009

Our 6th Anniversary

Yesterday, July 25th, was our 6th wedding anniversary! This was the first year we had so much planned. Usually we'll just go on a date to dinner or something like that.

Friday in the late afternoon Krissy and Craig came over to watch the kids. Krissy spent the night and stayed until around 2pm Saturday. During this time Scott and I did some shopping(mostly for clothes we really needed since we rarely go clothing shopping because it takes to long for me to decide, and it's too hard with the kids), went to dinner, did some more shopping, went back to our hotel that was only about 15 minutes away from home, swam in the pool for awhile and just had fun being together and giving one another our undivided attention.

Saturday morning we packed up our stuff and drove over to the Draper temple to do sealings. This is something we've tried to do consistently each year on our anniversary which I love because it helps us remember all the promises we made to each other and to our Heavenly Father all those years ago. Everything was wonderful. Thanks so much Krissy(and Craig) for watching the kids for us! And just for the record, I was in much need of a little break from my mommy duties before our night out, but while Scott and I ate breakfast in our hotel Saturday morning, there were a couple of families also eating breakfast with little children and I said to Scott, "I miss the kids. I bet they'd have fun here." To which he reminded me that I hadn't even been away from them for a day. And, even though I hadn't said anything aloud to him about the kids the night before, I thought of them and missed them several times. So, even though this was a nice little break, it was long enough for me to remember how much I love being with our kids, even though it's always busy and a lot work. I love it, and I love them, and it's the most rewarding calling in life that I've ever had.
A couple shots of Scott and I, on our anniversary, as we were getting ready to head out for the Bee's baseball game with the family that evening.

Driving to the Bee's baseball game. Scott didn't like Charlie's sunglasses and asked if I would take them off before we went in public...I think you'll notice that, yes they're green, but they have two girly flowers in the upper corners.
Saturday evening, Scott's work had a party at the Bee's minor league baseball game in SLC. We ate dinner, they had some fun door prizes, and then we went in to the stadium for the game. It was really hot and a little humid outside(we got rain earlier), so we were really happy that our seats were in the shade. Dinner began at 5pm, and by the time the game started at 7pm, it had cooled some and by an hour into it, it actually felt quite comfortable...though Scott told me later he was feeling warm the entire evening. Elisabeth wore her hair down, and was sweating so much she came to me and asked if I brought an extra hair tie she could use. I looked through my diaper bag and found diapers, baby wipes, floss, a camera and anti-bacterial soap. But no hair ties, and I didn't really want to take mine out and give it to her because I was really hot, too. So I improvised. I had her sit on the pavement in front of my folding chair, and I french braided it(to the best of my ability without any water, comb or brush), and then I broke off a piece of floss, wound it around the end of the braid a few times, and tied it in a double knot. And it stayed in throughout the entire game, so it served it's purpose well.

Elisabeth's french-braided-floss-tied hair do
watching the game


Elisabeth and Annabelle ate a lot of cotton candy, and they shared with the toddler girl sitting behind them, so we had a sticky section until the cotton candy was finished off
Afterwards, they had a firework show that was about 15 minutes long, and which the two oldest kids loved! Annabelle didn't like the fireworks and the loud noises that come with them. She kept switching back and forth between the arms of Scott and myself: I think she was trying to see which one of us could provide more comfort to her. She ended up laying on my shoulder for awhile, while I covered one of her ears with my hand. She didn't cry much, mostly she just had a scared look on her face and kind of wanted to hide.
Elisabeth watching the fireworks

A scared Annabelle watching the fireworks

Happy Anniversary Scott! I'm so grateful to have you as my best friend and companion for all eternity. I love you with all of my heart.

1 comment:

Maren said...

Nice shirt on the Friday pictures. That sounds like a great anniversary! Time with and without the kids.