Sunday, July 26, 2009

Flu and random pictures

I'm at home right now. I'm not usually home at this time on Sunday, but I just did a swap with Scott so that we both could attend half of church while someone stayed home with our sick Annabelle. I brought Elisabeth with me to sacrament meeting, but I didn't want to bring Charles because I sang in a trio about half way through, and I didn't want to put it on anyone else to be responsible for our very energetic little boy.

Charles had the flu, as well, several days ago. His started about a day after we got back from WA. Our first sign something was wrong was that during dinner he didn't eat hardly anything, and his eyes kept shutting. He's not one to normally fall asleep unless he's in his bed and it's bed time. He asked to go to bed(it was 6pm), and I took him, and I noticed he felt a little warmer than usual. An hour later he got up and said he needed to throw up. I took him to the toilet, and he threw up. He went back to bed and I made a note of what time it was so that I'd remember when he could eat food again(8 hours after the last throw up). We did that, and then did the bland food diet for 24 hours, and thankfully he slept through most of the following day and got some much needed rest. And then he was better; he only threw up once which was good. And now, three days later or so, Annabelle has a little bit of a fever and she's been sleeping for quite a while now. For the short period she was up, she just whined and wanted to lay her head down on my shoulder and then quickly fell back asleep. It's funny, the day Charles was sleeping a lot, I can remember the precise moment when Annabelle must have caught his bug: we went in to check on him(he slept on his mattress in my room), and as I was giving him my attention, I turned back around to see Annabelle taking a drink from his water sippy cup. I groaned and said aloud, "oh great, now she's going to get it." I tried my best to keep him away from the kids all day, but, in this one moment, I was not successful. Hopefully her bug will be gone as fast as his was. So that's what we've been up to since we've been back.

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a bad person for saying this, but it was actually kind of nice for a day when Charlie slept through most of it. The house was quiet and we were forced to stay home all day so Elisabeth and I did a lot of baking and cleaning, and it was kind of a nice, quiet break from normal life. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't like it when any of my kids feel sick, but if he wasn't sick, and if he would just take a nap occasionally, I think I could definitely get used to that and really like it; but he hasn't been napping for over a year, so I don't think that's going to happen.

Here's a random picture of our Annabelle covered in peanut butter. All members of our family are peanut butter lovers.

And here's another random picture of Elisabeth's french-braided ponytail. Since I've had a girl with long hair, I've been able to practice and learn how to do french braids where they actually look like french braids and not just like some crazy, criss-crossed mess on top of a head. I'm learning all sorts of skills while being a mother; doing hair is one of them.

1 comment:

Margot said...

Cooper had this last Saturday. He threw-up once and then was asleep on and off for the rest of the day. The next day he was fine. Thus far the rest of us have avoided it.