Monday, April 20, 2009

CEREC crown

Thursday afternoon, Elisa watched my kids for me and I went in to the dentist. I got my first CEREC crown tooth, though it's my third time getting a crown. And let me tell you, I can no longer go back to the other way of getting crowns. Normally you go in for an appointment, they'll do some painful things, take a mold of the original tooth, shave it down, take another mold, give you a temporary tooth and send you home. Then you come back(I think 2 weeks later, though Vanessa, you could probably verify this) and get your crown tooth that they've just received from the lab. The temporary teeth that I've had in the past, have always caused me pain and discomfort. So for a couple of weeks, life wasn't so fun. But with this CEREC technology(he basically makes the crown tooth on the computer in front of me with pictures he's taken etc), you go in, and an hour and a half later you come out with your new crown tooth already affixed. They numbed me really good, so the appointment wasn't too painful, and then the dentist told me to take ibuprofen for the next two days. I did for the first day, but really wasn't having any pain at all, so I haven't taken any after that and it's been wonderful! No pain, I've already adjusted to it, and I can eat normally. I really liked this method, and I really liked not having to get a temporary tooth and wait two weeks for the real one to come in.

I thought doing it this way would be more expensive, but looking back at my bills from Washington, it really wasn't, and in fact it was about $50 cheaper. I wonder if dental is just more expensive in Washington though, because actually, now that I think about it, I called a couple of dentists offices around here to see if they did CEREC or not and how much they charged, and the ones who didn't use CEREC were a little less. Also, I ended up only getting a 3/4 partial crown, so maybe that's why it was a little less as well. Anyways, enough about that. And don't worry, I'm not going to post a picuture of my new tooth. It'd be hard to get in there with my camera, and then you'd be able to see all the silver that's still in there; gross. I still need to get a couple more crowns, but I'll do that over the next couple of years. No need to do it all at once.

No comments: