Sunday, April 19, 2009

Canning butter


Wednesday last week, Maren and I canned butter. I had done it once before about three years ago, for a relief society activity in Washington. Our family used up the cans last year and I've been wanting to do it again, because they tasted pretty good. But I thought I'd wait until I could find butter for a really good price. Two weeks ago, we found butter for $1.50/lb so we bought a bunch and canned them! The basic idea with canning butter is to warm the jars in the oven (for 20 minutes at 250 degrees, if you want specifics), while melting the butter on a pot, bringing it to a boil slowly and then simmering for at least 5 minutes. Then you pour them into the jars(we used a funnel) and put the lids on top that have been in boiling water. Secure the rings and wait for the lids to 'ping' and once that's happened, shake them up a few times so that the color is even throughout the jar(though I've heard this is not necessary). Put them in the fridge for an hour and then take them out and you can store them with the rest of your food storage. They're good for at least three years, and the woman who wrote one of the articles I read, said that she just opened a 5-year-old can and it was still good. So, there you go.

3 comments:

The Horne's said...

Hey Elisa,
Thanks for the tip - so do you just can this to preserve it? I have never heard of canning butter, but that's a great idea. We're trying to build up some food storage incase of inflation and heightened food prices, or shortages.

MarieC said...

That's an amazing concept--I'd never heard of canning butter! I just buy it at a good price and store it in my freezer, where it seems to be good indefinitely, but canning it so it wouldn't require refrigeration would be even better. Too bad I don't know the first thing about canning. :-(

Casey said...

Wow, I've never heard of canning butter. Do you have to keep it in the fridge after that or can it go in the pantry? I've always just frozen ours, but we don't have a very big freezer so canning it might work better for us. Thanks for the tips!