Wednesday, March 4, 2009

No more training wheels for Elisabeth!


About a week and a half ago, Elisabeth and I watched out the front window, as a neighborhood boy learned how to ride a two wheeler bike, while his mom jogged beside him. This gave Elisabeth courage, and she was determined to try herself. While Scott was taking off her training wheels, I explained to her that anything we want to do well in life, takes a lot of practice(I kind of felt like a football coach, prepping a team...not that I've ever played football on a team, but it seemed like something that would happen in those football movies). I told her that she'd probably fall, which is why she was clothed head to toe, gloves and all, to pad her fall. But that I would be right there with her, and I'd help her, how ever I could, and that she needed to get back up, after each fall, and try again. I also told her that, most likely, she wouldn't be able to do it all by herself on the first day. But that I'd come out with her to practice every day, until she got it. And now look! After just a few days of practice(and several falls), she's a pro! She can even start and stop by herself, which was the hardest thing for her to get down. Yesterday and today, we went on a short bike ride around the neighborhood; Elisabeth rode her bike and I pulled Charles and Annabelle in the bike trailer. But I don't think I'll take Charles again for awhile, at least when Annabelle is riding too, because he couldn't keep his hands/body off of her which was really upsetting to her. Anyways...

Great job Elisabeth!

3 comments:

Robin said...

Yay! She is turning into such a big girl. Good job Elisabeth!

The Horne's said...

GOOD JOB ELISABETH!!!!!
That's such a fun time in a kids life, I still remember the day my dad taught me, he told me he'd be holding on the whole time. I turned around and I was doing it on my own...I think I panicked after that, but it showed me that I could do it alone!
GOOD WORK!

Maryann said...

Wow, I can't believer she did it! I guess I should give David a chance to try, I just didn't realize he might be old enough.