Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Itchy, scratchy Annabelle




Annabelle has fairly sensitive skin. Many times recently, I'll hear her scream in the night but soon fall back to sleep, and in the morning I'll find all sorts of scratch marks near her collar bone, under her ears and across her shoulders. One morning, while I was changing her, I found a little bit of blood on the inside of her shirt and then I found some really bad scratches. And it's so weird because she mostly does this at night. I'm not sure why she does this. We use laundry detergents for sensitive skin and we also put a little bit of baby oil in her bath because when we don't, she's terribly dry. But I'm not really sure what else to do. Any one have any ideas? For now, I'm just trying to keep her nails nice and short and filed smooth.

5 comments:

Angela said...

What kind of detergent do you use? Maybe you should experiment with changing detergents if you haven't already done that. Perhaps one without fillers or fragrance?

Casey said...

She could have Eczema. All my kids have it but William has it the worst. The dermatologist recommended that we use mild soap and slather him with vaseline after baths. It helps alot, but it still flares up sometimes. We have a steroid cream for when it gets really bad. There isn't much else you can do.

He used to scratch himself until he bled. Be careful because then it can turn into a skin infection which is no fun. Good luck!

Peter said...

Hey Elisa, Parker also has really sensitive skin and he sleeps with little socks or cotton gloves on his hands at night some times when he has really bad flare ups, and that really helps him to not scratch to much. I also always try to put him in long john type pajamas that are really form fitting and harder for him to pull at and get to his skin!!! Sorry for the run-ons hope that helps a little!! Hope everything is going well with you guys!

Rachel said...

Hey Elisa that last comment was actually from me (Rachel) your cousin. I guess I was logged in under Peters name. So sorry it makes it look like some weird guy is posting on your blog!!

Kev and Chels said...

Our little Peter also has sensitive skin and I use the Aveeno lotion for dry skin. It says it even helps with dry skin due to eczema, which I'm not sure he has?, but if she has it maybe this would cover your bases. It seems to help him a lot.