Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cleaning party



The very little free time that I have each day, is completely full for the next month and a half while I'm working on a writing project. Which means, if I want to get any cleaning done, I'm going to have to do it with the kids. So, last week, we had a couple of 'cleaning parties'. All this means is we work together to clean something, and generally, we do it with music in the background. Oh and as a side note, Scott and Maren have recently introduced me to pandora.com which is an online radio station where you can search a singer or song and then they'll put together your own personalized radio station, choosing songs like the one you searched for. So anyways, we were listening to Avril Lavigne radio and Kenneth Cope radio (I know, quite opposites huh? What can I say, I have a wide range of likes and dislikes) on the computer, while disinfecting toys, dusting, vacuuming, cleaning walls, putting everything in it's spot, like toys, shoes, clothes, etc. and we had a lot of fun doing it. In fact, once we finished and while we ate lunch, Elisabeth asked if we could please have another cleaning party after lunch because this, and this and this(she listed A LOT of things) still really needed to be done. My answer probably should have been, 'Oh, yeah! Sure, let's jump on it! I'm so thrilled you want to help clean!' But what I actually said was, 'Uh, Elisabeth. I'm kinda tired now. So you can do it if you want, but if it requires my help, you're gonna have to wait until tomorrow.' But anyways, it was all good fun. So if you're looking for something to do with your kids...put em' to work! I think we're going to try and do this as a project most days of the week. We'll see how long I last :).

I asked Charlie to tidy Annabelle's room. When I went in there later, I found that he had organized her decorative booties on her Jesus picture. Very creative, Charles. :) Oh and also, Charles probably cleaned 50% of the time, the rest of the time he just followed us around and played with toys. He really liked dusting, which he did a lot of.

4 comments:

Kimberlyn said...

What a fun activity. I'm glad your kids will do things without thinking they need to get paid for it. Anything my nephews do they expect money for.

berrymom said...

That is a great idea. My kids especially like anything that involves spray...except they get a bit carried away :)

Margot said...

We love cleaning parties! Peter has a little vacuum that he uses and he loves to sweep. Also, I often use Clorox wipes, so I'll give Peter a regular baby wipe and we'll clean the bathroom together. Good for you for teaching your kids to clean at such a young age. Their future spouses/roommates/missionary companions will thank you!

Also, I just read Elisabeth's bran flakes comment. Hilarious!

Maren said...

I have tried to clean with Brigham for years. Somehow it doesn't seems to go quite as well and yours does.