Thursday, February 26, 2009

Fiddler on the Roof and HSM3

This week I rented Fiddler on the Roof, and High School Musical 3, from the library. Scott and I watched, Fiddler on the Roof, Tuesday evening; it was my first time ever seeing the musical. I really liked it, though I wish they had a Fiddler on the Roof Part 2 so that we could find out what happens to everyone in the family; so, for now, I'll create my own happy ending.

I really enjoyed Tevye's character. Topol(the actor) played him very well. One of my favorite things about him was the cool/funny dance he did several times throughout the movie.

There were a couple of fun songs: Traditions, and Match Maker(which I had no idea came from this movie, but I remembered hearing it on Mrs. Doubtfire).

Here are a couple of my favorite lines from the movie:
Perchik(a 'teacher' in his early twenties who, at the moment, was teaching a couple of young girls from the bible)says, "So you see children, the bible clearly teaches us, you can never trust an employer. That is the lesson of the story of Jacob(and Leah and Rachel), if you interpret it correctly."

Tevye(the sweet, old, funny father) shouts to his wife and children, "You don't want me to get angry, because when I get angry, even the flies don't dare to fly!"


and Tevye's wife, is talking to her son-in-law in front of several others and says, "Well, Motel(that's his name), I never thought you'd amount to anything. But look at you. A baby, and a sewing machine! You're a person!" I love the implication that he wasn't a person before :)

So anyways, even though the story is a bit sad, I really enjoyed it. Oh, but High School Musical 3 was terrible! I was confused several times, and Gabriella(and many of the other female actors) wore the shortest little skirts throughout the entire movie, I was afraid we'd see her bum! The first one was by far the best...I should have just stopped there. Oh well...

5 comments:

Kimberlyn said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't like HSM3, I thought the first 2 were definantly better.

April said...

Yes, Fiddler on the Roof is a must-see...though the ending is depressing.

Casey said...

I love the dance he did too (Fiddler on the Roof). It is hilarious! I watched it for the first time a few months ago and really like it.

rachael said...

I love tevye! I watched it for the first time a couple months ago , and I loved it! I couldn't get the song "tradition" out of my head, for a couple weeks!

Maren said...

I haven't seen HSM3 but i am glad that you are not one of those who is a fanatic and totally rationalizes any inappropriate material.

Sweet quotes form the movie. I love the bible interpretation. I think there is a lot we could learn from the bible that way.:)