Thursday, February 12, 2009

Events from the week

Sunday, Daddy gave Charlie a hair cut and then I gave Daddy a hair cut. Daddy did a pretty good job with Charles considering it was either his first or second time; I only needed to go over a couple of missed spots. Once we finished, I decided that this is probably not the best Sunday activity. Since church doesn't start until one and we wake up at 7am, we thought we'd give them each a trim before. Well, it took way too much time which means we didn't get to have our normal free morning, and even though they both took showers after, Scott was a little itchy and we found bits of hair throughout the day on his Church clothes.

Monday we had spaghetti for dinner and cookies for dessert. Whenever I pull out the cookie jar Annabelle starts kicking her feet and waving her arms, even though she had never tried one before. So I decided to let her have one. She really liked it, which is only to be expected since she is my daughter.
Tuesday afternoon our big kids were out playing; throwing an assortment of objects at the branches of a tree in our front yard. I was inside with Annabelle and couldn't see everything they were throwing, but I did see a cup from our kitchen and another time a stick. A couple minutes later Charles came in crying. He had a very fat lip. Apparently Elisabeth was throwing a rock the size of a golf ball and it came down on his upper lip. Ouch! So we put ice on it until he couldn't stand that any longer(which was maybe one minute) and then we gave him a popsicle to help keep it cold for a little while longer. His lip was really fat for the rest of the day but by the next morning you could barely tell he'd been injured at all. Amazing!
Tuesday we also made some cheesy pretzels. They were more like cheesy bread sticks, but still really yummy. We saved most of them to eat with our left over spaghetti that evening. Here's the recipe:
2c flour
1/4c grated cheddar cheese
2Tbsp butter, diced
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c milk (I used more, maybe 2/3c)
1 egg, lightly beaten
Toppings: coarse sea salt, sesame seeds, extra grated cheese (I just sprinkled on a little salt and grated cheese)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix together first 6 ingredients with your hand. Add milk to form dough. Knead and roll dough about 10 times. Roll out dough to a rectangle measuring about 10x7 inches. Cut the dough lengthwise into strips, each about 1/2 inch wide. Pinch edges and twist each strop into a pretzel shape. Place on greased baking sheet, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with toppings. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

This would be a fun activity for you to do with your kids because they can help you mix the dough and twist the pretzels.

Today, Thursday morning, I got up and put my exercise clothes on, as usual, except I didn't put my tennis shoes on yet but rather, carried them out to the kitchen where several children were hungry and waiting for their breakfast. The night before I had taken out several Rhodes Rolls to thaw so that I could make scones for breakfast. I let the oil heat up in a frying pan and then gently placed a piece of dough in the middle. I quickly drew my hands back because oil started to jump out. I cooked that one and gave it to Scott and then I took another piece of dough, and this time dropped it in thinking it would keep my hands from getting oil splashed on them. That was a mistake. They didn't get my hands but more oil splashed out and a little landed on my sock, and seeped through to my foot in a couple of different spots. I quickly removed my sock and splashed some cold water on it, and then got back to helping the kids. The burn got a little bigger and started turning white in the middle. I ignored it for awhile and continued with our morning routine. I wore flip flops on the elliptical machine(for maybe ten minutes today because the strap near my burn was irritating the skin close to it) because it hurt to have a sock on. Then I called Mom and told her about it and she suggested that I soak my foot in water for a longer period of time and then to put some aloe on it, which I did. Though soaking your foot in a basin of water is harder to do than one might think when you have an almost one year old. I ended up taking off Annabelle's shirt and socks so that she could splash around a little more freely. I think it's looking a little better now, and it doesn't hurt unless I put something on it, so probably I'll go barefoot over the next couple of days and hope that I don't need to go out and run any emergency errands because it's snowing outside and I don't like wearing flip flops in the snow.
Here is a picture of Annabelle 'reading' a book this morning(Thursday). And I also took several pictures of Elisabeth reading to Charles on the couch but none of them showed up on my computer! I'm a little upset with our camera, it's been doing this a lot lately, which is why I know to take several pictures in the first place, but even then, sometimes I won't get any that transfer over. Grrr!


rachael said...

ouch! that looks like it hurts!! thanks again for watching Josh the other morning!

Kimberlyn said...

ouch! I thought you just got your camera...isn't it still under warranty?

The Horne's said...

Goodness it's been a busy few days, fat lips, first cookies, oil blisters, hair!

Samantha said...

Cute pics.

The cheesy pretzels look yummy.