Saturday, January 17, 2009

RSV....we think

I mentioned earlier that Charles had been sick, but he got all better last weekend, around January tenth. Unfortunately that same day Annabelle got sick. She shared the same sort of symptoms but was a bit worse and I think hers lasted longer. She started out with a mild fever(which came and went over the next couple of days), she had an extremely runny nose and was really stuffed up, and had a pretty yucky cough. Her nose bled too which I think was mostly due to the dry climate. She wasn’t eating like her normal self and she slept terribly, which also meant that I slept terribly. This kept up for five days at which time (Wednesday afternoon) I finally took her into the doctor who checked her ears and everything else and finally decided that she must have RSV. She said antibiotics wouldn’t help because this is a virus not a bacteria. And there was really nothing else we could do at the time besides what I was already doing: draining out her nose the best I could(I ended up buying saline nose mist spray that evening, thanks to Becca’s advice, and it helped a lot even though she HATES it), having her sleep on an incline, using the humidifier etc. When I talked to my mom she suggested boosting Annabelle’s immune system with lots of good foods so we did that too; it’s a good thing she loves steamed vegetables! The doctor also said to watch her breathing, if she’s having a lot of trouble breathing(or if the color around her lips starts to turn blue, scary!) bring her into the hospital and they’ll help her out.

After many prayers and great diligence from both parents on keeping her as comfortable and healthy as possible, Thursday things started to look up. Her fevers were gone, her nose was much less runny , and not nearly as stuffy and then by Friday she was practically fully recovered. Now I just need to try and get her back to her normal sleeping schedule because since she was sick for nearly a week she started routinely waking up each night several times, even if she wasn’t all stuffed up or runny nosed, and I would nurse her back to sleep. I think I’ll give her through this weekend and then try and help her get back on a ‘sleeping-through-the-night’ schedule.

I read up a little more on RSV and apparently 2/3 of kids will get RSV at some point in time but since the symptoms are so similar to the common cold many parents don’t even realize that that’s what it is, I know I didn’t have a clue. Some cases are much more severe than others and children may need to be hospitalized. Generally it lasts from 3-5 days, which was about right for Annabelle, she was pretty sick for about 5 days. I’m so thankful it’s over!

2 comments:

Casey said...

Poor sweet annabelle. I'm glad to hear that she is on the mend. Henry's been terribly sick too and I'm about out of ideas. I think I'll give the nose spray a shot. Thanks for the ideas.

Betsy said...

So glad to hear she is on the up hill! She's such a sweetie. Hopefuly you'll both be getting better rest this next week. Let me know if you need anything.