Friday, January 9, 2009

Dice game



I discovered this game through Robin, my sister-in-law, and thought we’d give it a try. I made a die with different numbers and colors on each side and then made cards that were color coordinated with the die. Each color represents a different subject or theme. So, for example, if you landed on red you would pick a red card which has pictures of animals and you need to say the name of the animal and the noise it makes. And in Elisabeth’s case, since she’s older, she needs to try and spell it. Blue is prophets and apostles, purple are actions (i.e. do a sommersault, walk back 12 steps etc), yellow are signs(there are about three to four words on these cards that the kids need to do in sign language), orange are shapes, and green are numbers(if they’re older they need to say the number and sign it). And since we’re working on our sign language when they roll the die they’re supposed to sign the color it lands on. So anyways, it’s a fun game for them and I enjoy doing it with them because I get to do some teaching. Thanks Robin for sharing this idea! And by the way, if you’d like to learn sign language but you’ve never watched ‘Signing Time’ you should check out the series of dvds from the library! They are great and totally family friendly. My kids love watching it and we all learn signs together!

1 comment:

Margot said...

I love this idea! I think I'll try it.