Saturday, December 27, 2008

White Christmas

We woke up to a very white Christmas! And the snow didn’t really let up for almost the whole day. It’s a good thing we don’t have family around that we need to visit because we were snowed in(always trying to look for the positive in a situation)! We had a lovely Christmas! I was the first one up at 545am(this over anxious behavior must run in the family because after I talked to Becca, my sister, she told me that she only slept a couple of hours…we were both just so excited to see the look on our kids faces when they unwrapped their gifts and saw the magic of it all), but I laid in bed until 630 at which time I got up and put my make up on and then put the egg casserole and the monkey buns in the oven(Scott was now up too), fed Annabelle, and patiently waited until 715am when Elisabeth finally moseyed on upstairs(I was just about to wake her up but I’m glad she made it up on her own). Here’s a picture of Annabelle enjoying playing with the cd player while her siblings are sleeping(which means she can give the cd player her undivided attention and doesn’t have to worry about a two year old boy wrestling her to the floor). We had her wake up Charles and then they went out and opened stockings and gifts and we took lots of pictures. I was very fortunate to have found most of their gifts on freecycle.com a couple of months ago, and in fact one of their favorite gifts, which was the playhouse with all the furniture and dolls and cars, was something I found on freecycle! They played with that for hours today! Here are a few pictures of some of the other gifts that they received from grandparents and ‘Santa’, that’s what it said on the package sent from Bothell, Wa (I’m pretty sure it was my sister Bec, we weren’t going to do gift exchanges this year with extended family so she was being sneaky but sweet).









Did I mention that the kids love their playhouse?
After lunch we shoveled snow and talked with family and then for dinner we ate the yummy turkey and sparkling juice that we received in the mysterious and wonderful red bin. After dinner we acted out the Nativity which is a tradition we started a year or two ago. Elisabeth was Mary, Charles was Joseph, Annabelle a sheep, Scott a donkey and a Sheppard, and I was an angel and the narrator and the camera woman(we have a fun video of this which I may try and post in the future once we have internet again).

Annabelle was the cutest sheep ever!
Christmas was wonderful! Oh and I forgot to mention that Scott and I decided a few months ago that we would make each other gifts this year and we could spend up to $10. This was a fun surprise for each of us(by the way, thanks to a couple girl friends for suggesting different homemade gift ideas):

Scott’s gift to me: 4 beautiful and lamented bookmarks with ribbons and famous quotes typed on each one about reading and why it’s wonderful. (I’m a HUGE lover of books and reading and am always misplacing bookmarks and end up using receipts or I will occasionally just lay the book open flat which is terrible for the spine binding, I know it’s a terrible thing to do! So this was a perfect gift!) He also got me a Sheri Dew book but he says that one was from ‘Santa’(probably because he went over the money limit, but he used a gift card that he had so that was sweet of him).
My gift to Scott: for the past three months I had been keeping an additional daily journal but this one is all about Scott. Each night I would cast my thoughts over the day and remember instances when Scott helped me or a child or someone else, or did anything at all that made me love him more and then I’d write that memory down and express my love for him. They were really simple things like him helping with dishes or chasing after a child or paying me a sweet compliment. It was a really neat experience for me and I think I may do it again. I loved that every night before bed I got to think about everything positive and wonderful in Scott, because it made me recognize all the good things he does daily and it made me feel even more love towards him which I didn’t think was possible(because I already loved him SO much, how could there be room enough in my heart for more!? Apparently there is always room for growth). And now we have a record of it which will be neat for us and perhaps our children to read in the future.

2 comments:

Kimberlyn said...

What a great idea for the gifts for each other.

MarieC said...

Wow, I am SO impressed that you had such a great Christmas on a budget! It's awesome that you could get so much on freecycle.com and that you and Scott agreed to make each other gifts. I'd love to feature how you did this on my frugality blog (www.real-lifefrugality.blogspot.com) if you would be willing to give me more details...maybe in an e-mail (marie at 4cummings.net).