Sunday, December 14, 2008

Parenting lesson learned

I think that after I had our first child, Elisabeth, I could have written a book on parenting because I thought I had all the answers. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have been guilty of judging other famililes a time or two in the past for not being able to control their noisy or more aggressive kids....that was until we had Charles, well actually, until Charles became a little boy because as a baby and toddler I didn't experience much of a challenge at all. And I'm not saying that Charles is a bad boy, because he's not, he has just taught us more in and about life than I thought was ever possible. I didn't ever think I'd have boys that fought and wrestled...but, what do you know, just last night at a wedding dinner, Charles was not only participating in aggressive wrestling matches with the three boys you see in the picture here, but he was the instigator on several occassions. And what did I do about it...I watched, and we laughed and thought, 'oh boys! how they love to wrestle!' Now of course no one got hurt, and they were mostly just playing around, but if you knew me a couple of years ago I wouldn't ever have allowed a kid of mine to fight, well not really fight, but wrestle in this manner. So, I guess I'm a changed mother and I've just come to realize over the past couple of years that every person, every child, brings with them something of their own nature and I need to learn to adjust and adapt to each one...and I'm sure in the future there will be times when my children will say that I'm, 'unfair', and that will be completely true, because how can you be completely fair and parent two different children in the same way? It just wouldn't work well. But I will be sure to love them all the same.
Here they are at Daddy's basketball game just horsing around with some friends. And yes they are in their pj's because the game didn't start until 7pm which is late in our house.

1 comment:

Cristin said...

I used to also be guilty of judging the behavior of crazy children when I was in public. Not anymore. That's called KARMA.