Saturday, October 18, 2008

Books

For any of you book lovers out there here is a list of some of the books I’ve recently read and a little review:
To Kill a Mockingbird
Eragon
Eldest(the second book in the eragon trilogy…and I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of the third from the library but I think it’ll be awhile because when I put it on hold last week I was number 1,370 or so)
The Peacegiver
The Hunger Games

I really enjoyed all of these books for different reasons. To Kill A Mockingbird was interesting and I enjoyed reading it from Scout’s perspective, she’s a little girl around age 7 I think and they lived during the time when there weren’t slaves but there were still lots of prejudices especially concerning race. One of my favorite characters was the father Atticus. He was such an examplary father in my opinion; he was patient, loving and kind and he stood up for what he believed and was honest and true.

I didn’t know about the Eragon series until after I saw the movie which I enjoyed. Both were fun, adventurous books and something interesting is that the author, Christopher Paolini started writing these books when he graduated from high school(home school) at age 15! And now he’s something like 24 and has these three NY times best sellers!

The Peacegiver was a book about Christ and how his atonement works in our lives(there was a storyline that followed a married couple who were struggling in their relationship). They deeply discussed a few gospel principles which was enlightening. I love gaining more understanding of the gospel and seeing different applications of it in my own life.

Hunger Games I first heard about on Stephenie Meyer’s website as one of her book recommendations. It’s a fiction book that is a quick fast read with adventure and romance. I sometimes enjoy reading a book that sucks you in and that’s exactly what this did. It just came out and it will be a series...I can’t wait until the next one comes out because this one kind of leaves you hanging at the end.

The language was pretty clean in all of the books, the only thing I didn’t really like was the violence in the Eragon books and The Hunger Games…I’m guessing if they made Hunger Games into a movie it’d be pg-13…though who knows because Eragon is rated PG though after reading it that’s another one I thought should be pg-13. Oh well. Anyways, there you have it: my opinion, you can take it for what it’s worth…not much :).

No comments: